Laptop battery question.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had to get a new battery for my HP Pavilion. The instructions don't really say what to do at first. It just says to charge and discharge it 4 times to condition it.

Well, when the battery comes in, it's about 1/2 charged. The first one, last week, I installed and charged it til it was at 100%. Unplugged it til it died on it's own. Then connected it back to charge again. It only went up to 6% then stopped charging.
This one, i didn't plug in the charger, and I'm gonna let it run down.

Anyone know if your supposed to charge it to 100% first? Or the other way.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
UPDATE New battery, after letting it die completely, per the instructions, is once again stuck at 6%. Surely I didn't get two bad batteries.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Laptop may not recognize it as a new battery. This might work. Disconnect AC adapter. Press and hold power button till laptop shits down. Remove battery and wait a few minutes then insert battery and plug in AC adapter. Don't turn PC on for a couple hours. Then turn it on and see if battery is now charging.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you get a warning when the battery goes below 10%? Draining the battery to a very low point could be causing the problems?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you get a message like can't determine battery capacity or something like that? I recently fixed one doing that. Turned out the some HP AC adapters have 3 wires. The tiny center pin was bent not making connection. The 2 power wires were making connection. Straightened out the center pin and it fixed it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check your ground cable at both ends, wire brush if necessary, be sure you have battery voltage to the trigger wire.
oh wait.... :D

I'm a lot better (at least a 3) fixing charging systems on mowers. I'm a flat zero on these things. :rolleyes:

LoL, that's the reason I posted this question in this forum. Was searching through computer forum and just couldn't understand their language. It read like English. But too many big words. ha ha ha ha ha

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you get a warning when the battery goes below 10%? Draining the battery to a very low point could be causing the problems?

The instructions say to turn all those off, and to make sure the settings are as such that the laptop uses up almost all the battery power, the first few cycles.
I do get some sort of CMOS thing on start up. It says something about the BIOS. What ever the heck those are. Then restarts itself.

Last night, I didn't turn the laptop on, just plugged it in. It was fully charged this morning. Unlike yesterday morning.

Maybe it was haunted. Yesterday being Halloween and all. lol

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, this is 2020 after all. Two more months.