LA145 tranny or something else?

OKSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this same drive belt & pulleys you purchased for your tractor? Or did you purchase non OEM drive belt & pulleys?
If you did not use these JD parts made for your tractor you have a problem.
Those are the same belt and pulleys I bought,though I bought the belt at a separate time because I didn't yet know I needed the pulleys.As for the nuts,I used one of the existing ones.The other I couldn't get off no matter what.That's why I replaced the mounting plate.The shaft that the pulley mounts to is apparently pressed into place and broke loose,spinning free.So I replaced with a regular nut and a locking washer,since that's what I had on hand.

OKSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
It takes two people to purge air from transaxle, one on seat operating forward & reverse pedals, start off slowly while on jack stands, the other person at backside of tractor operating rod back & forth.
I was just reading the procedure on Husqvarna's site.It can be done by oneself.I'll give that a try,though I still have to contend with whatever is wrong.

OKSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like you have some mechanical skill. That Tuff Torq T40 is a real low rated transaxle, even lower than the famous (infamous) K46, probably needs a rebuild to last a couple more years. Right now Surplus Center has a K57 that has a much higher torque rating and is a reasonably do-able replacement. Under $300 shipped I suspect. .Something to consider if you intend to keep the mower for a while. Some good reads on this forum:
I would definitely go that route if my research shows it's not too tough to swap out.That's alot cheaper than the rebuild kits for the existing tranny.Thanks for the info.

OKSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
After reading through things,I'm beginning to wonder if the pulley on the tranny could be the problem.I'm no mechanic,I just eyeballed the pulley when I pulled the tranny.Maybe it's spinning on the shaft at least part of the time?I'm pretty sure the drive pulley above the PTO is fine.The belt routing appears correct.One more thing.I forgot where on the mower the back end of the spring connected to.I think I put it back where it was and there's no problem with the plate moving back and forth.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think you can pull back on the clutch/brake pedal with the top of your foot and tighten the drive belt some, might help diagnose the problem.

OKSteve

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered a new pulley for the top of the trany.The splines look good,but there is some wear on the v of the pulley.I talked to the service dept. at the local JD dealer,and they think it's probably the bearings on the trany shaft.I admit,I did not remove those pieces and inspect them when tearing down the tranny.If the pulley isn't the culprit,I'll order the bearing kit.I'm convinced the rest of the tranny is fine.I'll let you know what I find out.As for checking the air gap on the PTO,I don't see anyplace on it to check the air gap.It's a Warner clutch,but I couldn't find the slots to check it.Maybe these are proprietary to JD?