Export thread

La Nina

R

Ross

They're saying it could be a colder than normal winter this year because of an extra active La Nina weather pattern in the Pacific. Usually when the NOAA says this, they're right. What do you think?

K

KennyV

I sure don't WANT a colder winter... :smile:KennyV

B

Bethieboo

I do not want a colder winter either. Once question though, I have always heard it called El Nino. So what is the difference between El Nino and La Nina?

BKBrown

BKBrown

I do not want a colder winter either. Once question though, I have always heard it called El Nino. So what is the difference between El Nino and La Nina?

If I understand correctly -- El Nino is warmer and La Nina is colder ( I don't speak spanish) !

What are El Nino and La Nina?

El Nino - (El Nee-nyo) is the warming of water in the Pacific Ocean.
La Nina - (Lah Nee-Nyah) is the cooling of water in the Pacific Ocean.
from Oracle Think Quest

http://library.thinkquest.org/5818/elnino.html

RobertBrown

RobertBrown

They're saying it could be a colder than normal winter this year because of an extra active La Nina weather pattern in the Pacific. Usually when the NOAA says this, they're right. What do you think?

Last year was the coldest on record for my location:eek:. I suppose it could get colder but it's not likely. Colder than normal might seem warm compared to last winter.

G

Gabi

It was cold here too, lots of people ran out of fire wood, if it is supposed to be colder I think maybe I need to consider getting more wood than I ordered, I do not want to run out. I have electric back up, but it gets far too expensive to run all the time.

R

Ross

Where we live is pretty mild year round, so an extra cold winter means lows in the teens instead of the 20's. I think I can live with that.

G

Gabi

I wish it was that warm here, we have cold winters, I don't want to imagine colder winters, that's awful. I shoveled so much last year that my shoulders are sore just thinking about it.

Attachments

H

Hershey

Well, I think cooler is possible. We had the coolest summer than we've had in years. We normally have something like 7 days in triple digits in August and we had none. We did have 2 early this month.

dria

dria

Lol. El Nino means boy and that means warmer. El Nino means girl and that's colder! That reminds me when hurricanes used to only get female names!

Attachments

D

DakotaMM

I had no idea there were two of them. I remember years ago the big deal made out of El Nino. I hate cold weather so I home SHE stays away. Hah.