Kubota T2380 hydrostatic tranny wont engage

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys so I recently got a Kubota t2380 riding mower for free and the previous owner said that it would run but wouldn't go forward. So I got it running after it had been sitting for a while and sure enough it does not go forward or backwards (stuck in neutral I believe), I checked the disengage lever and it was very loose like it was doing nothing. There was no spring attached and I attached a makeshift spring to see if that was the problem and it wasn't. So what do you guys think this could be? would low fluid cause the lever to be loose or will I have to take the axle out and crack it open to fix something inside? Thanks in advance

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing to check is the shifting lever, making sure it is actually moving the shift lever on the tranny. Second is to check the belt, good condition, routed properly and tight, is the pulley on the tranny actually turning?

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
First thing to check is the shifting lever, making sure it is actually moving the shift lever on the tranny. Second is to check the belt, good condition, routed properly and tight, is the pulley on the tranny actually turning?
yes the pully is moving above the tranny and the lever is secure but its just really loose unlike my other ones that were tight

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you move the shifter have someone make sure that the lever on the tranny is moving.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, but let’s not play twenty questions, one at a time. Tell us everything you have done so far to solve the problem. Be specicicle.

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, but let’s not play twenty questions, one at a time. Tell us everything you have done so far to solve the problem. Be specicicle.
your right lol so the Kubota will not go forward or backwards and I figured the rod you pull in the back of the mower was just stuck but it wasn't so I stuck my hand under the mower and moved the disengage lever on top of the tranny back and forth and it felt like nothing was connected to it so that led me to believe that something inside the tranny isn't connected therefore being stuck in neutral. But I am not sure if it has fluid in it or not and if it doesn't would that make the lever be loose?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you remove the deck, crawl under and check the belt routing, idler pulleys and tensioner arm? Have you tried setting the rear end on jack stands and moved the shift lever on the tranny while turning one wheel to see if it changes anything? Have you check to make sure the brake is off on the tranny? Have your physically move the free floating lever on the tranny?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
your right lol so the Kubota will not go forward or backwards and I figured the rod you pull in the back of the mower was just stuck but it wasn't so I stuck my hand under the mower and moved the disengage lever on top of the tranny back and forth and it felt like nothing was connected to it so that led me to believe that something inside the tranny isn't connected therefore being stuck in neutral. But I am not sure if it has fluid in it or not and if it doesn't would that make the lever be loose?
The bypass valve is a simple ball valve so no resistance to activating it
In fact a lot of cases have a slide for it to run over with notches so you know the lever has moved .

Collin Gurley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you remove the deck, crawl under and check the belt routing, idler pulleys and tensioner arm? Have you tried setting the rear end on jack stands and moved the shift lever on the tranny while turning one wheel to see if it changes anything? Have you check to make sure the brake is off on the tranny? Have your physically move the free floating lever on the tranny?
These are all good ideas I will try all of them today thanks