Kohler SV725 Charging Issues

artemjemmy

Threads
Have a courage 24 hp that is not charging. I jb welded the flywheel magnets back on and it still wasn't charging, only about 3 to 4 volts ac at the stator end leads. Some of the magnets were slightly chipped and one was missing a significant sliver, but I would still expect it to put out more voltage than that. Just to check, I replaced the stator as well with a used one and still, only about 4 volts ac at the leads. At this point I don't know what to do besides replace the flywheel, but before I make that kind of call I would like someone else's advise on this. Only thing else I can think of is magnet polarity, which I will check tomorrow, but I am fairly sure it is correct because I arranged the magnets into a circle, with each one attracted to the ends of its neighbors, to check polarity before putting them into the flywheel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes you got the polarity wrong or they are too high or too low or when they fell off they demagnetized

artemjemmy

Threads
Yes you got the polarity wrong or they are too high or too low or when they fell off they demagnetized
They all still strongly attract the tip of a screwdriver, so they definitely still have at least some magnetism.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some magnetism is not the same as enough magnetism
And if you put just 1 ( well has to be 2 ) of them back in the wrong place then the drop in output will be drastic as will slightly too high or slightly too low .

artemjemmy

Threads
Well, I know it was more than a couple days, but I'm back. Turns out the polarity was wrong, though I'm not sure why I got it wrong this time when my procedure has worked in the past, so at least I have experience for the future. However, it still only produces 17.5 volts ac, so definitely calling the flywheel.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kohlers seem quite prone to loosing magnets
One of my aftermarket suppliers now does a line in Kohler flywheels , mostly Courage .

So check what is available from aftermarket suppliers as Kohler prices are a tad on the high side and being heavy item the logistical costs tend to be fairly high as well .