Kohler engine cuts out after 10 minutes - fuel filter empty

sophiebaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a sixty-year-old woman who lives independently, with an acre garden and a Husqvarna ride-on. It was built in 2006 and has been very reliable and I have it serviced every year. It only mows once a week for about 2 hours max in the summer.

It seems to be suffering this year and I had it serviced but then developed an oil leak from the valve cover which I managed to replace myself. Now when I run it seems to go for about 10 minutes and then stops. The fuel filter is empty. The guys that serviced it came back and blew compressed air through the fuel system and replaced the fuel filter but the problem persists. I think they have given up with it now.

Anyone got any ideas? I am happy to pay for some repairs but it is so hard to find someone reliable to help me and to have the persistence to get to the bottom of its problems. It runs fine and cuts fine. When it stalls the only way to get it going is to disconnect the fuel filter and let gravity fill it up again. Then it works fine for another 10 minutes. It is a Kohler engine - see attachment.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

• IMG_6420.JPEG
    IMG_6420.JPEG
    893.5 KB · Views: 6

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That mower is old enough to have the vented fuel cap. If the cap vent plugs can cause similar issues. Next time it acts up try loosening the fuel cap and see if it will start and run. If you are some place quiet and the fuel cap vent is plugged when you loosen it you may be able to hear it sucking in air.

sophiebaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I did try running it with the fuel cap resting on top and the mower guys shoved some compressed air through the fuel cap too and I stuck a pin in all the holes. No joy but thanks anyway.

sophiebaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I did try running it with the fuel cap resting on top and the mower guys shoved some compressed air through the fuel cap too and I stuck a pin in all the holes. No joy but thanks anyway.
I can afford to fix it I just can't get anyone with the the knowledge and persistence to help me do it. I can afford to replace it but that seems an excessive response. Should a ride on last more than 18 years?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"When it stalls the only way to get it going is to disconnect the fuel filter and let gravity fill it up again."

Does it have a fuel pump or is it a gravity system?
Is the fuel filter the pleated paper element type?

sophiebaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it have a fuel pump or is it a gravity system?
Is the fuel filter the pleated paper element type?
no fuel pump just gravity
yes the fuel filter is the paper type but I replaced it today and no difference

Thanks!

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the paper filter and replace it with the round red screen type. Some paper filters are not compatible with gravity systems.

Screenshot_20240914_160001_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240914_160008_Chrome.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When you disconnect the fuel line how fast does the filter fill backup. Is it quick or a slow process. I am wondering being that old if the fuel line has ever been replaced and possibly is internally coming apart and blocking fuel flow to the filter. Or the empty filter is a none issue and the problem is actually something else involving the carb.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Remove the paper filter and replace it with the round red screen type. Some paper filters are not compatible with gravity systems.

View attachment 69691

View attachment 69692
I don't use the red ones on anything. Had too many cases were debris would get through the filter and preventing the float valve from sealing causing overfill and gas in the crankcase issues, I prefer the white ones for gravity,

sophiebaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you disconnect the fuel line how fast does the filter fill backup. Is it quick or a slow process. I am wondering being that old if the fuel line has ever been replaced and possibly is internally coming apart and blocking fuel flow to the filter. Or the empty filter is a none issue and the problem is actually something else involving the carb.
when I disconnect the fuel line the fuel floods out and I get covered in petrol (gas?) then I reconnect it and the filter fills up immediately. It's a big mystery. Is replacing the carb a big job I can do? Another friend did suggest it might be the fuel solenoid but the mower guys did not suggest this. Again not sure if this is something I can replace on my own :)