Kohler EFI

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was usually the old fat mechanic that the owner and the parts dept. would constantly call up front to help them, but was always punished for not billing out as much
as the ZTR mechanics, but I was also the main 2 cycle tech as well, etc..... Biggest mistake ever, bragging about your 2-cycle abilities in the job interview.....

Doomed if they hire you...........

de dee

Threads
Grasshopper recently started running these in their machines. We sold our first ones this year. No problems yet, but I'm sure they are coming down the line. Does anyone have any tips on what parts I would need to carry or what the common issues are?

My kymco 300i downtown scooter has EFI ,. I never had any problems for the two years and 41.000 km. it is a 1 cyl. engine with 28 hp. 4 stroke starts very good in all temp,s from 20 below to 100 F. and from sea level to 6,000 ft in the mountains,.

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Threads
My kymco 300i downtown scooter has EFI ,. I never had any problems for the two years and 41.000 km. it is a 1 cyl. engine with 28 hp. 4 stroke starts very good in all temp,s from 20 below to 100 F. and from sea level to 6,000 ft in the mountains,.

I think the cold weather starting will be huge for us. We run several grasshoppers with blowers and blades!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Motorcycles ,ATV's and snowmobiles have all EFI. As you see very trouble free. The only time I ever had problems is when a ATV came into my shop that someone broke the plug out of the computer. That was about a two and a haft day job for me that I just refused to give up on. As I said the biggest trouble spot is plugged fuel filters.

OUTDOOR CONCEPTS

Threads
We got our Kohler EFI cable and software today...cant wait to use it. I hope it collects some dust before we use it tho!

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
After fussing with the car systems for some time I think users will love the EFI. As noted much sensitive to dirt so filters must be clean. Next, some cars have problems with the fuel pressure regualtors after much use. Grounds are very important. By that I mean the (typically) black wire-lugs that are screwed to the chassis. On board fault lites (assume the tractors will have a 'check engine' lite also) are easily triggered by corroded or loose grounds. Starting should be greatly improved as long as the cold start sensors and injector nozzles are ok (normally very reliable). With the EFI (?probably) comes electronic ignition which is light years ahead of the magneto systems and also should help starting (especially cold). Idling and maintenance of proper max engine speed should improve.

I'm winging this from the auto systems I am familiar with. If a check lite system is included there should be a trouble guide. If the tractor is user friendly it will flash "semaphor " signals for you without special diagnostic equipment, but isolation of the fault can still be difficult. One feature that may be troublesom is how the mfgr has handled the vibration. This is a killer of electronic components which exist on the CPU ( resistors transistors etc). So proper isolation from vibe and heat would seem a major issue.

Oh, yeah, power and emissiona should be greatly improved so I would expect smaller engines to replace the big ones like the 45 inch "harley" Intek I have.

Last edited: