Kohler CV740 running rough under load.

rwhelipilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Hustler 927806 with a Kohler CV740 engine.
I bought this mower used and have been restoring it and now that I have it running, there is a problem with it running rough under load.
It runs fine with full throttle and no load, but if I put some load on it such as blades engaged and going uphill, it starts running really rough.
My first thought was that it was starving for fuel. I had already replaced all the fuel lines, tank strainers, selector valve, and filter during renovation, so I then replaced the fuel pump.
The problem persists, so I had a new carburetor on the shelf and installed it.
The problem persists, so I went to the ignition coils. Someone had already replaced the DSAM system with the 25-707-03-S MDI kit, but I replaced the coils AGAIN.
The problem still persists, so I am now leaning toward a valve issue. Perhaps a valve is sticking, not seating, or a hydraulic lifter is bad.
That is the only thing I can think of that could be the issue, now that I have replaced about everything else.

Any thoughts???

Bertrrr

Threads
If it runs good with no load it's doubtful you have a fuel or carburator problem, You need to look at the linkage to the governor first , maybe a spring is missing or the linkage is off , when a load is put on the machine the governor should react and maintain the rpms. Make sure you have good spark plugs etc.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would be checking to see if you are down one cylinder.

rwhelipilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it runs good with no load it's doubtful you have a fuel or carburetor problem, You need to look at the linkage to the governor first , maybe a spring is missing or the linkage is off , when a load is put on the machine the governor should react and maintain the rpms. Make sure you have good spark plugs etc.
Governor linkage looks good, including spring. I really don't think it is the governor because it isn't simply bogging down, but starts running rough as if one cylinder is dropping out. If I stop moving, within a minute, the engine will smooth out again.
I just pulled the heads off today and #1 has a lot of black carbon buildup. Later today, I am going to remove the valves to verify that the seats look good or if they need lapping. While it is apart, I will replace the hydraulic lifters, head gaskets, intake gaskets, and exhaust gaskets. I read in the forum where someone said the lifters can cause this sort of thing and someone replace them and the problem cleared up.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Governor linkage looks good, including spring. I really don't think it is the governor because it isn't simply bogging down, but starts running rough as if one cylinder is dropping out. If I stop moving, within a minute, the engine will smooth out again.
I just pulled the heads off today and #1 has a lot of black carbon buildup. Later today, I am going to remove the valves to verify that the seats look good or if they need lapping. While it is apart, I will replace the hydraulic lifters, head gaskets, intake gaskets, and exhaust gaskets. I read in the forum where someone said the lifters can cause this sort of thing and someone replace them and the problem cleared up.
Coils can also be a cause.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb float level could be set low. Restriction in fuel delivery to carb.

rwhelipilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carb float level could be set low. Restriction in fuel delivery to carb.
I don't know the history of the mower as I just bought it and have been restoring it. Cooling fins are not too dirty, but while I have the heads off, will clean it thoroughly.

Bertrrr

Threads
Sounds like you're pretty handy with this type of work, Let us know what it ends up being

rwhelipilot

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you're pretty handy with this type of work, Let us know what it ends up being
Yes, the next step is to order some parts. I hope this solves the issue. I'll keep you posted.
One thing I thought of after the fact...I should have did a compression test before pulling the heads off. If it ends up needing rings, I will be pulling the heads back off.