Kohler cv16 Command only runs with partial choke

teseal

Threads
Good to know, thx much. I will check the manual to see if there is a flow measurement.

One test I wanted to do with the 16 was set up a gravity fuel feed to see if it would run wo choke. Understanding now some of the different pumping capacities, it may have proved or disproved fuel delivery as a problem.

Also just thought the pump actuator spring is a big factor related to engine speed and pump capacity.

THX again.

awkerper

Threads
Engine will die in seconds if the choke is opened completely, cold or warm. New carb, carb shutoff bypassed, new filter, new pump, replace fuel line, new head and manifold gaskets, fresh gas, new spark plug, will only start with full choke even when engine is warm. The guy I bought this cub cadet 2166 from said the unit had only sat for about 6-8 months. (BS for sure). Said there was no spark because the coil was bad. Installed new coil still no spark problem was the SAM which was replaced with a used unit to provide spark. The carb and fuel pump were so rotted they had to be replace, fuel line was cracked and leaking so alot of the repairs were related to just getting to the point where I could try the engine.

This doesn't seem to be the normal not getting fuel problem causing to run lean. Spraying carb cleaner, does not show any air leaks. The choke is only slightly closed, to much and it will also shut down. With the right choke setting it will throttle up and sound normal.

So the question is, What does enriching the fuel/air mixture with the choke overcome to allow it to run?
In my amateur opinion, I would say the enrichment overcomes a vacuum leak which is adding air to the mixture and making it lean before it enters the engine.
Good luck! :)