Kohler Courage 22 loses power under load

Sparty

Forum Newbie
Threads
2006 Troy-Bilt RZT50 with Kohler Courage 22 idles erratically, especially high RPM's and loses major power under load. Replaced the oil, filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, cleaned the air filter/sponge and used some carb cleaner to clean all the linkage and down into the carb itself. Have not taken the carb apart. None of these steps did anything. Has been running great up to the last time I mowed last week. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Assuming twin cylinder. Need to make sure that it is firing on both cylinders

Sparty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Assuming twin cylinder. Need to make sure that it is firing on both cylinders
It is firing on both cylinders. After starting, it will run fine for a short while, then it begins to start hunting. It will do it on lower speed setting, but is much more prevalent at higher RPM.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It may losing spark under load after heating up. Remove one at a time the spark plug wires while it is acting up. Replace the plug wire after testing and do the other cylinder. IF the engine when one wire is remove then the other cylinder is dead.

I just did a Kawasaki engine where it would not act up for 30 mins then it starting surging and cutting out. Ended up replacing one defective coil and while I at it replaced the older of the two coils too.

Sparty

Forum Newbie
Threads
It may losing spark under load after heating up. Remove one at a time the spark plug wires while it is acting up. Replace the plug wire after testing and do the other cylinder. IF the engine when one wire is remove then the other cylinder is dead.

I just did a Kawasaki engine where it would not act up for 30 mins then it starting surging and cutting out. Ended up replacing one defective coil and while I at it replaced the older of the two coils too.
Great idea. I'll check that when I get home this evening. I've had to replace those before due to mice in the winter time chewing through the coil wire.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the fuel line off from the fuel tank to the fuel pump and blow back through the line .
If the problem goes away for a while then you have a fuel tank blockage .

Sparty

Forum Newbie
Threads

Yep, that was it. I have new coils coming tomorrow. Thanks!