Kohler Courage 20 / SV600 Walbro 3 carburetor leaking from float valve

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Kohler Courage 20 / SV600 Walbro 3 carburetor leaking from float valve
if i remember right, a 22-18 gauge crimp on ring terminal will work, i don't recall the size of the hole for the screw though, any good hardware store, (TruValue, Ace, Lowe's etc) will have what you need.
1646954225375.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The flange head screw is a M6x1.0x20 so the hole in the terminal needs to at least that.

shrout1

Threads
Awesome thank you both :) I might stop over at Ace tonight. Life's killin me with these gas prices though lol

This (from here):
Ring_terminal_JST_1.25-4.jpg

Looks an awful lot like this (the broken end of my grounding wire):

Ring_Terminal_Broken.jpg

The JST site says that it is "JST, R Uninsulated Ring Terminal, 4mm Stud Size, 0.25mm² to 1.65mm² Wire Size"
Here is a screenshot of the spec sheet:
Ring_Terminal_Specs.jpg
Now to match that to something on Ace hardware...

Last edited:

shrout1

Threads

shrout1

Threads
So... can I use brass polish and a Q Tip to try and clean this up? The seat is so stinkin small and it's very difficult to get anything down in there... I might try putting it together as is; used some carb cleaner and scotchbrite but it doesn't seem like it made much of a difference. I will use the new needle.

I ordered the full rebuild kit (thanks for the part number!) but I am hopeful that I can fix this without replacing the seat. I'll keep the kit as a spare if I can get this running as-is

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Looks can be deceiving with the float needle. There is no Rubber seat in these carbs, as you will see the needle tip is rubber. (Viton)
Post the Model and Spec number of the engine (SV600-_ _ _ _ ) So we can look up the correct parts/check if you have the correct parts.
Also be sure the hole where the needle seats/fuel inlet is, is clean.
If it leaks when sitting and key off, the fuel solenoid only prevents the fuel from getting to fuel passages. Thus the float if can be gravity fed, can leak by and overflow. The carb has an atmospheric vent for the bowl, so the fuel overcomes the float and either comes out the vent or if the top bowl gasket is no good, it will leak there. The fuel solenoids are known to cause no start or lack of fuel issues intermittently when sticky.

TwinL

Threads

TwinL

Threads

shrout1

Threads
If it leaks when sitting and key off, the fuel solenoid only prevents the fuel from getting to fuel passages. Thus the float if can be gravity fed, can leak by and overflow. The carb has an atmospheric vent for the bowl, so the fuel overcomes the float and either comes out the vent or if the top bowl gasket is no good, it will leak there. The fuel solenoids are known to cause no start or lack of fuel issues intermittently when sticky.
Hey thanks! I replaced the bowl gasket prior to getting on these forums - that seems like it is holding ok :) The fuel is leaking out of the side of the carb at the air inlet, so... does that seem like a bad seal at the float valve needle allowing fuel to seep into the bowl and slowly leak out of the carb? If the fuel solenoid were working then would it prevent fuel from coming out of the jet? I am going to try and reassemble it today and see if my work so far has made any difference. It's a fair amount of effort just to see but... I don't have any other means of testing at the moment. Perhaps I can try to get a pressure tester from an auto parts store near by.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No the fuel solenoid does not prevent this, it blocks the main nozzle so the engine straves to death for fuel. This help prevent the boom that happens when raw fuel hits the hot exhaust muffler during engine shut down.

All I can say is that the needle and seat has been a known with Walbro carburetors since 2009. This why Kohler came out the replacement kit.

It appears that you are trying to do anything to keep from installing the needle/seat kit. It have become a waste of my time to try to explain this to you.