Kohler Command Pro 29hp EFI smoke

Fizzerpilot

Threads
So, I bought this mower in May... and it has only accumulated 5 hours since. Ever since day one, it blows smoke on startup. Only for a few seconds, one cloud, then nothing. I’m considering calling Caldwell, where I purchased it, just to get this on file... but is this common? The mower doesn’t smoke outside startup, has good power, starts easy... but it seems odd to see smoke on a new motor.

Fizzerpilot

Threads
So, after reading a few comments on other forums, and other posts... I decided to check the oil fill level. Cold, it is about 1/4” above the full line. This, on a dip stick that has an operational range of 1/2”. Today I’m going to suction some of the oil from the crank case, and see if it makes a difference at start up.

kraky

Threads
I don't know about the new Kohler engines but that used to be a pretty common complaint on the older V twins. It didn't affect durability back then and it probably doesn't now ... but I can imagine how much fun it is to be in the corner of the garage getting it fired up and being in the middle of it.

Fizzerpilot

Threads
So, I decided to suction the excess oil from the crank case... only to find the oil is a milky tan color. I certainly hope this is some fancy break-in oil... but I’m guessing not. I’ve been working on machinery for 30 years, and never seen such a thing. The mower has a whopping 4.9 hours.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Milky oil is an emulsion , usually with water.
do you wash the mower with a pressure washer ?
Do you have young children who might be "helping daddy "

Fizzerpilot

Threads
It has 4.9 hours on it. Never washed. Never in the rain. Literally never been in contact with water. I did however read other reports that Kohler uses a breakin oil that is murky and green, which is exactly what I have. It seems it’s normal.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kohler doesn't put oil in their engine prior to shipping to the mower manufacturer, nor do they have any break in oil in their stock, and don't recommend the use of special break in oils. Actual Kohler oil is so clear than you will have a hard time seeing the oil level line on the dipstick. So Hustler would of put the oil in the engine not Kohler.

Fizzerpilot

Threads
Either way... I’ve now seen several Kohler EFIs with this green oil...

Fizzerpilot

Threads
Caldwell response...

Ok, so I spoke with our Tech Brian. He explained the process to me a little better and says he has definitely seen some brands of break in oil turn this color when it interacts with gas. He wasn’t concerned, but said to keep an eye on it for a little bit after the oil change. It may take a couple of oil changes to get all of the gas out of the oil. You can actually smell it, barely, on the dipstick most likely, even after the first oil change.

The exact process of what causes oil in the gas is as follows:

Gas can bypass the rings more easily on a unit until it is “broken in” and the rings are seated well.
Anytime the unit is ran for less than 10-15 minutes, there will be more unburnt fuel in the cylinder than if the unit was allowed to run longer. The fuel will drain down and bypass the ring via the ring gap even when the unit is fully broken in.
There will always be some fuel that could technically bypass the rings once it is ran past the 10-15 minute barrier, but as the engine heats up the likelihood is less and once the oil heats up it will vaporize the gas and push it out the evap line into the carb to recycle it. In your case I suspect it was simply letting more pass then could be burnt up.

At any rate, we don’t believe you have an issue. I am not an expert on this this, and am trying to relay what the Tech described to me, so if something doesn’t make sense, please don’t hesitate to ask.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Run it until it blows and warrant it. What I did with the Kawalski on my Cub. Ran it until it came apart and got a new one (engine), no charge. My flywheel let go at speed and ate everything up with 10 hours on the machine. Got a new motor and that was around 500 hours ago. Stuff happens and like ILENGINE said, I've never seen break in oil in a Kohler motor.