kohler command pro 23hp runs rough

dlang10538

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro zturn with a Kohler command pro 23hp dual OHV. It will startup, with the idle set at low only, and runs rough. if you try to idle up or use the choke it immediately stalls. i pulled off the air cleaner and if you hold your hand in front of the carb intake it will get wet with gas spraying out. i pulled the carb and cleaned it and put back on with no change. it was pretty clean. the valves are hydraulic, with no adjustment. i pulled the valve covers and spun the engine just to make sure that all was intact. any ideas on what to check next ? thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At low speeds the automatic decompressor opens the inlet to decompress /
Start the engine then manually open the throttle by pushing the govenor arm

dlang10538

Forum Newbie
Threads
it stalls immediately when I manually move the throttle lever.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do the quick test.
Unplug one spark plug wire, and try to start.
Then try it the other way around.
If it runs on one side and not the other, that will narrow it down.
You may have an intake valve not fully closing, or the like.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is there a chance that the fuel solenoid on the carb isn't opening. On Kohler carbs the solenoid shuts off the high speed main jet but not the idle circuit jet.

dlang10538

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed the fuel solenoid and it is working correctly with the piston sucking in with the key on.
I removed the spark plug wires one at a time and didn't notice a difference. It's to the point now where it starts and chugs for a few seconds and dies. It is misting gas out the carb when running and there is constant pressure out thru the exhaust, not a chug...chug....chug

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could also be the possibility of the float valve not sealing and the fuel pump is overfilling the carb when running, spitting out the extra fuel.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Empty out the gas totally, then start and run the engine. Run it until it runs out of gas and dies from that. See if it starts running better there at the end, to see if it is a carb problem.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it black smoking when it's dying.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Empty out the gas totally, then start and run the engine. Run it until it runs out of gas and dies from that. See if it starts running better there at the end, to see if it is a carb problem.

Was thinking water in the gas too. Experience has taught me to drain several ounces gas from the entire tank fuel line during all carb cleanings.
It's a bich to R & R a carb, only to find water still in the lines.