Kohler CH740 power issues.

F150Fan80

Threads
So, if you all remember I was going to replace or repair that electrical connector from the engine to the tractor. I am looking for a replacement connector and cannot find something that is very suitable for it. I would like something that is snug and weather-tight as well. Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement? I am at work currently and cannot look at the wire sizing either. I want to make sure that I have something that will take what current is being transferred. Thanks!!

F150Fan80

Threads
Well I finally have the engine all back together. Finding time to get back to it has been hard. I ended up using a 6 prong trailer connector to redo the engine to tractor wiring harness connector. Since there are only four wires used now I just eliminated two of them. I chose this style of plug due to the larger gauge wire that was used with it versus a normal 4 prong trailer connector. All the wire splices are sealed. I then just found a rhythm and basically only have a couple things left to install but they have to wait until I get the engine back on the tractor. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day to see if this thing will roar to life again. Here are some pictures. I still have to clean the tractor off as you can see in the pictures but I am still hopeful to start it tomorrow with any luck.

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpg
    IMG_7557.jpg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7558.jpg
    IMG_7558.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7559.jpg
    IMG_7559.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7567.jpg
    IMG_7567.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7568.jpg
    IMG_7568.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7569.jpg
    IMG_7569.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7571.jpg
    IMG_7571.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7572.jpg
    IMG_7572.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7573.jpg
    IMG_7573.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 4

F150Fan80

Threads
I wasn't able to fire it up yesterday, that will be today. Fingers crossed!!! I did however get everything mounted back up and wired. It's sitting in the shop right now waiting for me to try and start it.

Attachments

• IMG_7583.jpg
    IMG_7583.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7584.jpg
    IMG_7584.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7585.jpg
    IMG_7585.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7586.jpg
    IMG_7586.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 2

F150Fan80

Threads
:ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note I almost forgot to. But I followed the manual for torque specs!! ?

F150Fan80

Threads
Well, I know that it has been a long time since I updated anyone on the progress made. Between work, sick kids, sick adults, Christmas, getting ready to go snowmobiling, etc, I haven't had much time to dedicate to getting this thing running. Let me rephrase this, running well. It does in fact start and run. However, there is still a lack of power issue. I do not think it is spark related since that is all new. It appears to have either a fuel problem or a breathing problem. The engine is acting rather "taxed" when the PTO is engaged for the deck. Again, I can turn the drive shaft for the deck by hand and it turns very easily. I've replaced the idler pulley bearings for the pump drive side and that is all in good working order. I did try an experiment of sorts. Without spending more money without having a good understanding of what could be doing this, I decided to remove the muffler and run the engine and see what happens. The engine actually seemed to run much better like a restriction was removed from it breathing properly. I also adjusted the governor according to the manual as well when all was hooked back up. Could this actually be the issue? Should I do another compression test and see if the valves are sealing right? Just wanted to poll the group on things to look at once we get back from our trip.

F150Fan80

Threads
Well I am finally back from sledding in northern Wisconsin. Love it up there. Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on this? I am looking into getting back out to look it over within the next couple of nights. Hopefully someone has some insight for me. I feel like I am missing something here. I just don't know what.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Doing a compression check could confirm if you still have a low compression issue. I am wondering about the remove muffler and it ran better. You could have a restriction in the muffler that would cause power related problems. I have seen the baffles come loose in mufflers and restrict the outflow,

AVB

Threads
Leak down test would be better valve sealing problem.

I do have question since it seem taxed with the PTO on. Are you sure it is running on both cylinders?