Kohler CH740 power issues.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like your engine has smartspark, I looked up your engine and it said that you did not, so I didn't suggest it.

That is very likely your problem

Kohler is not very forthcoming with what system was used on this engine. Most parts diagrams don't show the SAM unit, but the DSAM is shown on the Dealer parts site, but not the ASAM It shows the ASAM compatible ignition modules with a serial break of below 36339000001, but not the Analog speed advance module It also shows the Speed advance module for after serial number 3633900001 but not the 3 prong ignition modules themselves. They supercede directly to the MDI modules.

It looks like the OP has the ASAM Which uses the two terminal ignition modules. The ignition modules for the ASAM system are available but cannot get the ASAM advance module itself. Problems with the advance module are required to convert it to MDI for this engine which requires the replacement of the flywheel. Conversion kit 24 755 308-s which includes both new modules, and a new flywheel.

F150Fan80

Threads
Kohler is not very forthcoming with what system was used on this engine. Most parts diagrams don't show the SAM unit, but the DSAM is shown on the Dealer parts site, but not the ASAM It shows the ASAM compatible ignition modules with a serial break of below 36339000001, but not the Analog speed advance module It also shows the Speed advance module for after serial number 3633900001 but not the 3 prong ignition modules themselves. They supercede directly to the MDI modules.

It looks like the OP has the ASAM Which uses the two terminal ignition modules. The ignition modules for the ASAM system are available but cannot get the ASAM advance module itself. Problems with the advance module are required to convert it to MDI for this engine which requires the replacement of the flywheel. Conversion kit 24 755 308-s which includes both new modules, and a new flywheel.

Would it be worth it for me to convert it while everything is apart? If it is a better and more reliable setup it seems that it would be in my best interest to do that conversion while everything is apart.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It would be easier to convert now with it on the bench than to wait and find out you will have to pull the engine a second time to convert it. If possible could you get the numbers that are printed on the Spark Advance Module to comfirm which module you have. Your engine puts you in the ASAM range but the conversion kit doesn't list your model in the parts bulletin.

F150Fan80

Threads
It would be easier to convert now with it on the bench than to wait and find out you will have to pull the engine a second time to convert it. If possible could you get the numbers that are printed on the Spark Advance Module to comfirm which module you have. Your engine puts you in the ASAM range but the conversion kit doesn't list your model in the parts bulletin.

Hopefully this picture helps. I just put these on and they have only been used for roughly ten minutes. Basically brand new.

IMG_7405(Edited).jpg

Here are some pictures of each piston and the jug they came out of. I haven't tried to put a ring back in each as of yet. I hope to try that later tonight if I don't get really tired first from getting off midnights.
Side one:

IMG_7397.jpgIMG_7396.jpgIMG_7398.jpgIMG_7399.jpg

Side two:

IMG_7400.jpgIMG_7401.jpgIMG_7402.jpgIMG_7403.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Bores ought to be good since factory crosshatching is still visible.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
cylinders look good with very little since crosshatch still present. Was looking for the numbers on the spark advance box not the ignition module number, Rings look worn, would like to see picture of ring in cylinder to see end gap.

F150Fan80

Threads
cylinders look good with very little since crosshatch still present. Was looking for the numbers on the spark advance box not the ignition module number, Rings look worn, would like to see picture of ring in cylinder to see end gap.

Here are more pictures. Hopefully these help some.

IMG_7406.jpgIMG_7407.jpgIMG_7408.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IOYxsFS8yw

I think a General rule of thumb is a gap between .010-.020 is good, 020 being the worn end.
I tried to find the ring gap spec, but couldn't.

New bore end gap is .010-0224 used bore max wear limit is .037 for top and middle rings, they don't give a spec for the oil control ring.

To the OP. that SAM is the Analog Spark Advance Module which requires the kit that I listed. The ring end gaps in the pictures don't look too bad.