Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!

boatman

Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
JB Weld is GREAT stuff -- just make sure the surface is CLEAN and rough it up a little with wire brush or fine sand paper. Make sure it isn't so thick it is interfering with anything.
Picture of the crack ? - Video not necessary.

I am posting pics of the carb. Two things - 1) there is definately a pin hole where a scratch is, i think I can just JBWeld it, 2) there is a hole below it that has some scratches on it, I am wondering if this should be plugged up.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 9
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 9
  • carb3.jpg
    carb3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
  • carb4.jpg
    carb4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8

boatman

Threads
  • / Kohler 27HP V-Twin - Won't start - getting frustrated, about to get baseball bat!!!
JB Weld is GREAT stuff -- just make sure the surface is CLEAN and rough it up a little with wire brush or fine sand paper. Make sure it isn't so thick it is interfering with anything.
Picture of the crack ? - Video not necessary.

I have attached pics of the carb, two things...
1) You will see the pin hole at the scratch
2) There is another factor hole, but appears some scratching had taken place there too, I am wondering if this hole should be plugged.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 6
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 6
  • carb3.jpg
    carb3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 6
  • carb4.jpg
    carb4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 8

boatman

Threads
Just because a fuel pump has good volume doesn't mean it's making enough pressure.
I've seen this problem many times with car fuels pumps where people think there good cause of volume but, when you hook up a pressure tester they read 0 or not enough.

Point well taken Mr. Customs, take a look at my pics of the carb and let me know your thoughts.

mullins87

Threads
This fuel pump doesn't pressurize....at least I don't think it does, at least not once it pumps the fuel into the bowl. I'm pretty certain it uses plain ole' engine vacuum to suck the fuel into the intake stream. Put only enough JB Weld on the outside of the bowl to plug the hole and you should be back in business. That larger hole looks like it could be a passage way.

I'm so glad you fixed your main problem. I think you're just about to get it whipped now. :thumbsup: But, just in case you don't, I'd be willing to take it off your hands for $50. :biggrin:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd give you $100 if you deliver ! :laughing: :thumbsup:

Seriously - You have everything else fixed or replaced - If this doesn't work, I'd get a new or rebuilt carb. and fire her up !

Once you have it running I want video !!!!!!! :thumbsup: :eek: :biggrin:

Trcustoms719

Threads
This fuel pump doesn't pressurize....at least I don't think it does, at least not once it pumps the fuel into the bowl. I'm pretty certain it uses plain ole' engine vacuum to suck the fuel into the intake stream. Put only enough JB Weld on the outside of the bowl to plug the hole and you should be back in business. That larger hole looks like it could be a passage way.

I'm so glad you fixed your main problem. I think you're just about to get it whipped now. :thumbsup: But, just in case you don't, I'd be willing to take it off your hands for $50. :biggrin:

If it doesn't then i wonder why they would even have one..
Cause other engines work just fine with gravity feed, I would think any pump should creat just a little bit of pressure.
It sure sucks not being there in person..:frown:

mullins87

Threads
If it doesn't then i wonder why they would even have one..
Cause other engines work just fine with gravity feed, I would think any pump should creat just a little bit of pressure.
It sure sucks not being there in person..:frown:

Oh yeah, we could have had this thing purring like a kitten by now if we could have just put our hands on it. The vacuum fuel pumps that are on lots of these engines only produce enough "pressure" to cause the fuel to flow from the tank to the carb. Yes, you are correct, there has to be some pressure to make it happen, otherwise gravity will force the fuel back into the tank, as it is most likely mounted lower than the carb. However, I doubt any of us have equipment sensitive enough to measure this pressure.

Trcustoms719

Threads
Oh yeah, we could have had this thing purring like a kitten by now if we could have just put our hands on it. The vacuum fuel pumps that are on lots of these engines only produce enough "pressure" to cause the fuel to flow from the tank to the carb. Yes, you are correct, there has to be some pressure to make it happen, otherwise gravity will force the fuel back into the tank, as it is most likely mounted lower than the carb. However, I doubt any of us have equipment sensitive enough to measure this pressure.

True.., It probably isn't even making 1lbs of pressure..

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK - I'm just a curious old man -- is it running yet ?

Last edited:

boatman

Threads
OK - I'm just acurious old man -- is it running yet ?

I apoligize guys, I had to take a few days off from this before I go nuts.
I have cleaned the carb inside and out, I removed the JBWeld from the pinhole, it IS supposed to be there. I removed the flywheel again, just to make sure it wasnt sheared again, I went ahead and replaced w/a new one, It did look a little bent, and I torqued to about 65ft. lbs (manual says 49).
It starts immediately, but also dies immediately, here is the video: YouTube - ‪Craftsman 27hp Kohler - Starts, then Dies - Please Help with Advice‬‏
Let me know your thoughts.