Kohler 27hp only running on one cylinder

Gingerbread Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Kohler command 27hp high output two cylinder engine in my Simplicity 54". Recently started loosing power under load. I have had a look at it and have found that only one spark plug is firing. Taking the leads off, only one lead is working.

So a new coil or a new lead I believe.

Does anyone have the manual for this engine so I can see how it all comes apart to get at the leads and coil?

Attachments

• Compress_20230112_200111_1521.jpg
    Compress_20230112_200111_1521.jpg
    982.5 KB · Views: 8

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The service manual won't give you the detail you are requesting. The manual will say remove engine cover it will not be a paint by numbers. And you will need to replace both coils Mainly because the other coil will fail shortly if not be incompatible with the new coil

Gingerbread Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Happy to replace not coils. Just trying to identify what's what. An exploded view.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Besides due the way Kohler the coils with internal steering diodes the coil that is not firing may not even be the bad coil. I had a twin cylinder to come with the ignition dead on one side. It turned out the coil on the working was the culprit of the other side not firing. The internal steering diode had shorted out. Even in this case Kohler recommended for me to replace both coils.

Now if a mouse had chewed the high tension in two then it can be replaced if you carefully dig out the old lead. The new lead will need epoxying back in place to seal out moisture and a new terminal installed.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also removing the engine shroud is a little involved the throttle control assembly must taken apart and the oil cooler removed before the shroud can be removed.

Gingerbread Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also removing the engine shroud is a little involved the throttle control assembly must taken apart and the oil cooler removed before the shroud can be removed.
That's how it looked. More than a few screws

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Kohler uses decals on the engine's shroud. They are constantly being lost which why owners should always record their engine and equipment info but few do. Sometimes there might be a engine serial number that can be searched.

I got to where I stamp the engine's model and spec number into the crankcase here whenever I pull an engine. The current CV730 in the shop (out of the equipment) serial number tag was the only decal left and it was just hanging on by a little bit. Otherwise I record the customer's equipment info in their customer record file when I first receive the equipment. It has save me numerous times as customer power wash off the equipment's decals.

Even the decals are there the ink on them maybe gone away with the dirt.

Gingerbread Man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler uses decals on the engine's shroud. They are constantly being lost which why owners should always record their engine and equipment info but few do. Sometimes there might be a engine serial number that can be searched.

I got to where I stamp the engine's model and spec number into the crankcase here whenever I pull an engine. The current CV730 in the shop (out of the equipment) serial number tag was the only decal left and it was just hanging on by a little bit. Otherwise I record the customer's equipment info in their customer record file when I first receive the equipment. It has save me numerous times as customer power wash off the equipment's decals.

Even the decals are there the ink on them maybe gone away with the dirt.
Is there any other way to identify. Visually? By what mower it was used in?