Export thread

Kohler 27hp only running on one cylinder

G

Gingerbread Man

I have the Kohler command 27hp high output two cylinder engine in my Simplicity 54". Recently started loosing power under load. I have had a look at it and have found that only one spark plug is firing. Taking the leads off, only one lead is working.

So a new coil or a new lead I believe.

Does anyone have the manual for this engine so I can see how it all comes apart to get at the leads and coil?

Attachments

I

ILENGINE

The service manual won't give you the detail you are requesting. The manual will say remove engine cover it will not be a paint by numbers. And you will need to replace both coils Mainly because the other coil will fail shortly if not be incompatible with the new coil

G

Gingerbread Man

Happy to replace not coils. Just trying to identify what's what. An exploded view.

I

ILENGINE

Put in your model number and download the service manual https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals

StarTech

StarTech

Besides due the way Kohler the coils with internal steering diodes the coil that is not firing may not even be the bad coil. I had a twin cylinder to come with the ignition dead on one side. It turned out the coil on the working was the culprit of the other side not firing. The internal steering diode had shorted out. Even in this case Kohler recommended for me to replace both coils.

Now if a mouse had chewed the high tension in two then it can be replaced if you carefully dig out the old lead. The new lead will need epoxying back in place to seal out moisture and a new terminal installed.

StarTech

StarTech

Also removing the engine shroud is a little involved the throttle control assembly must taken apart and the oil cooler removed before the shroud can be removed.

G

Gingerbread Man

Also removing the engine shroud is a little involved the throttle control assembly must taken apart and the oil cooler removed before the shroud can be removed.
That's how it looked. More than a few screws

G

Gingerbread Man

Put in your model number and download the service manual https://kohlerpower.com/en/engines/manuals
Unsure of the exact model. Will probe a little deeper and see if there is a plaque somewhere

StarTech

StarTech

Kohler uses decals on the engine's shroud. They are constantly being lost which why owners should always record their engine and equipment info but few do. Sometimes there might be a engine serial number that can be searched.

I got to where I stamp the engine's model and spec number into the crankcase here whenever I pull an engine. The current CV730 in the shop (out of the equipment) serial number tag was the only decal left and it was just hanging on by a little bit. Otherwise I record the customer's equipment info in their customer record file when I first receive the equipment. It has save me numerous times as customer power wash off the equipment's decals.

Even the decals are there the ink on them maybe gone away with the dirt.

G

Gingerbread Man

Kohler uses decals on the engine's shroud. They are constantly being lost which why owners should always record their engine and equipment info but few do. Sometimes there might be a engine serial number that can be searched.

I got to where I stamp the engine's model and spec number into the crankcase here whenever I pull an engine. The current CV730 in the shop (out of the equipment) serial number tag was the only decal left and it was just hanging on by a little bit. Otherwise I record the customer's equipment info in their customer record file when I first receive the equipment. It has save me numerous times as customer power wash off the equipment's decals.

Even the decals are there the ink on them maybe gone away with the dirt.
Is there any other way to identify. Visually? By what mower it was used in?

I

ILENGINE

Is there any other way to identify. Visually? By what mower it was used in?
For a service manual use CV750

H

hlw49

You can lookup the model no by the serial no. on Kohlers new dealer website.

G

Gingerbread Man

For a service manual use CV750
Thanks for that.

G

Gingerbread Man

Thanks for that.
Looks like the one. Will try and have a look at it this weekend.

M

mikebarber

NOBODY will ever read this but here goes When you get it repaired think about this Look at where the coils are located directly above the cylinders that have fins to dissipate engine heat Now think about this mower either runs out of gasoline while working hard or the engine gets switched off immediately after working hard WHERE DOES ALL THAT ENGINE HEAT GO??? Yep you guessed er Chester straight up into those coils and what is in those coils???? ELECTRONICS Heat kills electronics Give your engine 3 to 5 minutes of cool down no load time before you switch off that key and then you won't be able to cuss the coil maker about making junk coils because the heat will no longer kill them Gary

B

bertsmobile1

YEs, no perhaps.
The electronics is just a hall effect chip at the most sofistigated so has a couple of diodes a couple of resistors & a transistor
None of which are particularly prone to the sort of heat damage you would get from your alloy engine block
If there was things like semi liquid caps then you might have some legs to stand on.
The hall chips are very low voltage and what usually kill them is voltage spikes form the rather poor electrical systems and AC ripple ,
The ones fitted to push mowers seem to last a whole lot longer than the ones fitted to ride on engines

G

Gingerbread Man

I have a conversion kit on the way as the direct replacement is discontinued.