Kohler 24hp oil leak

sofasurfer

Threads
Kohler (Courage?) 24hp, 2009 or 2010. The drive pullet under the engine is full of oil. I assume this is a bad seal. I hope this is an easy repair. Problem is, I saw a post that had the same issue but the problem was that the inner case, where the crank rests was worn thus causing the seal to go bad. I think that was a 2002 engine. Hopefully my 2010 does not have that issue. Anyway, does this sound like a seal issue to you? I looked at the parts diagram and it appears that the seal is on the outside of the engine.
Hoping for some good thoughts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It could be the oil seal, but before I would start pulling it apart I run this test. First clean the outside of the engine until it looks brand new it possible. Top, bottom sides everywhere, engine compartment also. pressure cleaner if available or garden hose and engine degreaser. Dry, dry, dry everything, compressed air, or leaf blower. Park unit outside and ask your better half for a 1/2 cup of flour. Foot or body powder in a bottle works well also. Dust the very dry engine with the flour, again everywhere. Start the engine and let it run for 20-30 minutes and shut off. Now with a good bright flash light look for signs of where the oil is leaking from. The flour will allow you to track the oil back to the where the leak starts. Now you can start your repair with a better understanding of what is happening, no guessing. After finishing the repair,wash the engine again.