Kohler 22 courage, flywheel removal

Gord Baker

Threads
An impact gun on the crank while prying on 2 sides works wonders.

CaptFerd

Threads
Big ass hammer and a tire tool fits all flywheels.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Come on guys use the right tools. That why they are made. And many auto part stores even have a loan a tool programs for those that are not willing to buy the tools or have an one time need.

IaFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Come on guys use the right tools. That why they are made. And many auto part stores even have a loan a tool programs for those that are not willing to buy the tools or have an one time need.
Suitable advice but some of us don't live next door to the parts store and like to get things done in a timely manner. Thus the use of the correct size hammer and lightly prying on the flywheel is the best option. I've been removing flywheels since I was 15 years old and in those 56 years I've never damaged a flywheel or shaft with my efforts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Suitable advice but some of us don't live next door to the parts store and like to get things done in a timely manner. Thus the use of the correct size hammer and lightly prying on the flywheel is the best option. I've been removing flywheels since I was 15 years old and in those 56 years I've never damaged a flywheel or shaft with my efforts.
I don't live next to a parts store as the closest is over 30 miles away but I have a good relationship with them and can pickup and return tools on Sundays while in town shopping otherwise so there is no excuse for laziness. I even got last set of large metric impacts at half price after borrowing the set which I have add to since that purchase.

You mean in 56 yrs you never had to remove a harmonic balancer pulley assembly nor had the time to go to an auto parts store for your vehicle parts? And I probably started working engines a lot earlier in my life as I learning when I was in the 2nd grade in Salinas, CA. The first engine I remember helping to put heads on was '56 Oldsmobile.

The harmonic balancer puller has been in my tool set every since. The only other puller I normally use are the flywheel knockers that I use on two cycles and had them made from my own designs just like the PTO screw torquing tool I have here so I don't have to remove the flywheel shrouds when dealing PTO clutches with recessed double D. Of course those that don't the double D I still need to remove the shroud so I can hold the flywheel.

Now I do have two 44" cabinets and tool chests full of tools too.

Last edited: