mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Use a puller like Mark linked.
Or thread the nut back onto flywheel just flush with the end of the crankshaft, so you don't damage the threads.
get suitable pry tool and insert under the flywheel while pushing down on the handle (to push the flywheel up wards) and hit the nut with a hammer, may take a whack or two while prying up on the flywheel.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Prefer not to use pry bar method; always a chance of putting a hole in the thin closure plate.

Under the flywheel fan will be two puller holes. Note these are metric threaded.

1. Unsnap debris screen from cooling fan.
2. Remove retaining screw, washer and fan mounting plate, securing fan and flywheel to crankshaft.
3. Carefully lift cooling fan to disengage two drive pins and remove it from flywheel.
4. Remove flywheel from crankshaft using a puller. Harmonic balancer puller type.
5. Remove flywheel key from crankshaft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This manual may be of some help. As a service tech I’ve used the following method multiple times with success, but you must be very careful when doing it. Remove the fan and reinstall the flywheel bolt until you have a gap of 1/16”-1/8” between the flywheel and bolt. Take the largest screwdriver you have, must be over 12” long, and wedge it between the flywheel and the block. You are going to pull up on the screwdriver to put upward pressure on the flywheel. Now take the largest hammer you have, I use a 5 lb hand maul, and while pulling up on the screwdriver with one hand, strike down hard and SQUARELY, I REPEAT SQUARELY on the head of the bolt. If done right the jarring action of the hammer should release the flywheel from the crankshaft. WARNING: If you do not hit squarely on the bolt there is a risk of damaging the bolt or flywheel. Try at your own risk. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use a pry bar & hammer as well
As Star mentioned the closing plate is quite thin so I slip a steel plate across it to spread the load.
I sit on the end of the bar then put an old impact socket on the nut to protect the nut & crank then give it a nice hard smack with an old log splitting axe which is about 10 lb that had a broken handle so I cut it down short .

Now the caveat on this is I put the pry bar under the flywheel when undoing the nut with an air impact.
In most cases the actions of the air impact is enough to pop the taper .

donens2018

Threads
This manual may be of some help. As a service tech I’ve used the following method multiple times with success, but you must be very careful when doing it. Remove the fan and reinstall the flywheel bolt until you have a gap of 1/16”-1/8” between the flywheel and bolt. Take the largest screwdriver you have, must be over 12” long, and wedge it between the flywheel and the block. You are going to pull up on the screwdriver to put upward pressure on the flywheel. Now take the largest hammer you have, I use a 5 lb hand maul, and while pulling up on the screwdriver with one hand, strike down hard and SQUARELY, I REPEAT SQUARELY on the head of the bolt. If done right the jarring action of the hammer should release the flywheel from the crankshaft. WARNING: If you do not hit squarely on the bolt there is a risk of damaging the bolt or flywheel. Try at your own risk. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...urage-SV470-SV480-SV530-SV540-SV590-SV600.pdf
This youtube video may help.
As Rivets said use extreme caution if doing it this way. If the flywheel is really rusted on other components can break. You can ruin the crank threads and/or nut/bolt hold down.

Tyy

Threads
Use a puller like Mark linked.
Or thread the nut back onto flywheel just flush with the end of the crankshaft, so you don't damage the threads.
get suitable pry tool and insert under the flywheel while pushing down on the handle (to push the flywheel up wards) and hit the nut with a hammer, may take a whack or two while prying up on the flywheel.
Alternately you can place some hardwood wedges under the flywheel and then strike the flywheel nut that is just loose !

thulinconst

Forum Newbie
Threads
There should two or three threaded holes in the flywheel, use a slotted puller thread bolts into the holes, if you need to tap the shaft or the bolt on the shaft, a copper hammer works best as it will not flare or damage the threads. you should be able to buy what you need at harbor frieght.