Kohler 14hp K321S help

Chesterspal

Forum Newbie
Threads
At my wits end with this engine. Three weeks and still the same issues. Cannot keep it running w/o misfires, backfires, loss of power, stalling out.

I’m usually pretty good (with my machines) but this one has me stumped.

What I’ve replaced:

Carb
Ignition wire (w/solid copper core)
Have new coil and will do that next

Played with the points. Book says .020”. Set anywhere from .022 to .015 with little difference. Seems a tad better with the smaller gaps.

I have a timing light but hard to see through the hole. Might remove cowling if you feel it will help me get this right.

Timing light is erratic when running. Coincides with the mis/back fires as you’d expect.

I think this is more to do with ignition, not fuel.

Suggestions?

Can post videos if this site will let me (?)

Thanks

Last edited:

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Make sure the only wire attached to the + side of the ignition coil is a power wire coming from the key switch. Points and condenser attach to the - side of the coil. Did you also replace the condenser?

Chesterspal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Make sure the only wire attached to the + side of the ignition coil is a power wire coming from the key switch. Points and condenser attach to the - side of the coil. Did you also replace the condenser?
Yes, replaced the condenser, too.

New coil… no difference 🫤

By the way I forgot to mention… I got a constant blackened plug.

I cannot get this thing to run lean no matter what I do.

The original ignition wire measure 10,000 ohms so I thought by using a solid copper core wire that was going to solve my problem and get me a good strong burn but it absolutely no difference.

Last edited:

Chesterspal

Forum Newbie
Threads
1693157285431.jpeg
This is an H10C, what manual calls for.

Yes, I clean after each attempt with soft wire brush.

Last edited:

Chesterspal

Forum Newbie
Threads
1693157745931.jpeg

Tell me how to set up this carb correctly. Am I right, the screw angled to the right is idle. Out enriched, tighten leans?

Reverse with the center main jet adjust, correct?

Can I start by turning main way out so has no affect to get idle set up first?

If not, what is method?

BTW: will these aftermarket Amazon carbs even work correctly on these engines?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
One to ignition switch another appears goes to starter motor solenoid, factory wiring.

You want me to cut that lead ?
No. Just wanted to be sure the wire to the points and the wire to the condenser were on the negative (-) side of the ignition coil and not the positive (+) side. It's something commonly seen where someone connects the points to the positive (+) side of the ignition coil and the engines will typically run but not run very well.