Koehler 25 hp blew oil everywhere

Threads
I have a Craftsman gt5000 with the Koehler 25hp. I have only owned it a couple months but really does not burn oil as I check it regularly. Today I was mowing and it began smoking really bad at the front of the engine. It was still running fine but obviously something was wrong. Shut it down and there was oil all over the place and actually caught fire for a second. Put the fire out no problem and nothing hurt. But can not figure out why it would do that or where it came from. Have not made any changes to the engine. It was like a hose or something popped a whole in it but of course there is no such thing. Wondering if its a head gasket from all I hear about that. But would a head gasket cause it to blow oil all over up there? When I say up there I mean the front of the engine. Any help would be much appreciated. Have searched a lot and found nothing like what I am describing. It did not really smoke upon start up except very very little. I have read those threads.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Possibly leaking valve cover gasket

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take off the air filter and look around there. Also check your oil level and check the smell of it, if it smells like gas,
then your carb is flooding.

mjw357

Threads
Oil dipstick replaced properly? If it's loose, oil will get everywhere.

Threads
I should clarify. It is a 2002ish GT that I bought used and from what I am told had low hours although it does not have a hour meter. Seller had gotten divorced and did not end up using it to mow acreage and only used to mow small city lot up until a couple years ago. Then did not get used much. Ran really really well and was really in pretty good shape.
When this happened after pushing it up into the garage I pulled the valve cover on right side because it looks like it came from the right side. There was oil in there that leaked out when I took it off. Bottom left hand corner had oil more pooled and looked more brown/burnt? Gasket looked fine and was in place.
Engine in general did not really leak or burn oil unlike my last one. I checked every time before I mowed and have not had to add oil since I changed it a month or so ago.
Checked the dipstick and fine. Oil filter is on other side of block and not leaking.
It really is like it blew oil all across the front. Front axle was covered and even had blown out into the inside of the tire rims. Really odd. That is why I started a new thread because it is nothing like anything I have read before.
And I need to make sure people know,(thanks for all your help) the engine was still running fine. No knocking rod or like the engine exploded and quit like it threw a rod.
That is why I am wondering if it is at all possible head gasket blew and would that make it basically spray oil across the front? Hopefully no cracked block and have not seen any signs of that. And I would think if it had the engine would have sounded a lot different and/or quit before I shut it off.
All your input is much appreciated.

Threads
Take off the air filter and look around there. Also check your oil level and check the smell of it, if it smells like gas,
then your carb is flooding.

Going down there to check that now to see if it smells like gas. Had mowed with it for about 20 minutes before this happened and all was fine.

Threads
Going down there to check that now to see if it smells like gas. Had mowed with it for about 20 minutes before this happened and all was fine.

Just checked and no gas smell. From reading the dipstick it looks like it dumped a good .5 quart to full quart of oil on the ground. Because it was full when I started and now has only about a 1/4 inch on the dipstick. Does not smell like gas.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Pull the hood off, and push it out in the yard somewhere over some cardboard or newspapers and remove both valve covers, and start and run on low throttle. You will know where and if you have a blown head gasket real quick!!!

That is a long ago "Fish" test that I introduced 10 or more years ago, that has been stolen/adopted by many on these forums. If one side sprays like a lawn sprinkler, that is where you should look.

Threads
Pull the hood off, and push it out in the yard somewhere over some cardboard or newspapers and remove both valve covers, and start and run on low throttle. You will know where and if you have a blown head gasket real quick!!!

That is a long ago "Fish" test that I introduced 10 or more years ago, that has been stolen/adopted by many on these forums. If one side sprays like a lawn sprinkler, that is where you should look.

Okay, already had the hood off and air breather cover. Put some more oil in and started it and did not even run for 10 seconds. Dumped a quart of oil on the ground. Definitely not valve cover and looks like it is coming where the head meets the block. So hopefully not a cracked block/head because a lot came out fast. Can see no cracks but there is the shroud that goes around the front of the valve cover in the way. Even after I shut it off the oil kept coming out for a while.
Hope those head gaskets with the new bolts are not to hard to find here in kc. Cause it would be really bad if I have to go a week without mowing! Never put head gaskets in anything so a little intimidating.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Kohler Courage blocks ten to crack. Just something to check. The last one I repaired I had welded.