Kholer Courage 22 - new carb - idle perfect - off idle hunting

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Kholer Courage 22 - new carb - idle perfect - off idle hunting
Since never got the engine's numbers I personally don't know the carburetor is setup. It might be Nikki, Ruixing, Walbro, or some other brand. Also when rejetting you got to know what are doing which takes experience. It is not something a DIYer should attempt.

Also a clone carburetor don't necessary mean parts from the OEM carburetor will even fit it.

GroundLoop

Threads
Engine is a SV715 22 HP. Original carb is a Keihin. Numbers stamped on top of the carb are 32 053 11 64B alc. And on the side is BCH

I did find I had one of the governor linkages on the wrong hole. Put it where it was on the original carb and it does run better now. But still not as good as it used to.

Only problem with original carb is it started dumping gas out of the butterfly. Lots of gas. Took it apart once and cleaned up the bowl, put it back together and it ran fine. Did it again a few weeks ago and just ordered a new carb. Had no idea there were different original manufacturers. Just assumed the ones on Amazon were rebuilds of the original carbs. So maybe I would be better just finding out the real issue with the original carb. Is there a part that is causing the sudden gas dumping?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is an aftermarket carb carefully selected from Amazon by reading reviews.
Umm, um, don't know how to approach this one.

Okay, take the OEM Kroller carb and boil clean it. If you can't get it clean then buy an OEM Kroller carb for it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there a part that is causing the sudden gas dumping?
It's called the needle and seat. Works like a toilet.

Dump the fuel tank, reverse blow with compressed air. Get that tank spotlessly clean as in brand new perfect. Probably grass and grit in the tank heading towards the carb.

Install all new fuel lines and filter from tank to carb.

Remove the carb bowl and spray carb cleaner WITH SAFETY GLASSES ON into the fuel inlet tube both ways. Remove the float and hinge pin finally removing the needle. Clean away with your SAFETY GLASSES ON. Why use safety glasses? Don't use them then come back here and comment on your experience. LOL

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean your block and cooling fins while you are at it. Bet that engine cover has never been off.

skiman

Threads
It is an aftermarket carb carefully selected from Amazon by reading reviews. Repaired other small engines by replacing carbs from Amazon and had great results.
those aftermarket kohler walbro style carbs are the problem..the OEM walbro carb has an adjustable idle jet that helps eliminate high speed surging...those aftermarket carbs are fixed idle jet with no adjustment...3 choices...get a rebuild kit for the original carb...buy the right OEM carb with the proper jetting ...or get a set of micro drills and carefully select the next right drill size to step up the main jet to balance the fuel flow..might need to step it up again
..good luck...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
.buy the right OEM carb with the proper jetting ..

Have you priced an OEM kohler carb?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Try pricing some of the Kawasaki carburetors if you want sticker shock, Kohler are not that bad compared to some the Kawasaki. I recently repaired one that would cost the customer $600+. [JD price] even thru my distributor it would have cost me $438.20 and it listed for $537.71.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couple years ago i had an older JD gator. JD wanted $375 for a new simple one barrell carb. I replaced needle and seat for $55.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get a 4 barrel Holley for some of these prices LOL.
1653195475447.png