Kawasaki FR651 valve seals replacement.

Mad_mat222

Threads
My engine installled on a Hustler has just over 500hrs on it and is starting to burn oil. It’s a little smokey at start up and I’m guessing the valve seals need replacing. This is my work machine so I don’t want anymore downtime than necessary but my question is: should I do anything else while the heads are off and the seals are replaced? There is nothing wrong with the performance and only asking in case this would be an advantageous time to do a freshen up. And if I can order parts in advance because there are known issues, would also save the downtime.

Welcome the advice.
cheers
mat

Bertrrr

Threads
My usual reply here is " don't fix what aint broke" so I'd start there

Mad_mat222

Threads
My usual reply here is " don't fix what aint broke" so I'd start there
Too easy. It is definitely a can of worms I want to avoid but if there was something prudent worth money and attention, I would rather do it once. I’ll inspect the valves and assuming all is well just replace the seals.
Thanks.

Do you always replace the head gasket? If it was my landcruiser I would be but does it matter on these engines?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Too easy. It is definitely a can of worms I want to avoid but if there was something prudent worth money and attention, I would rather do it once. I’ll inspect the valves and assuming all is well just replace the seals.
Thanks.

Do you always replace the head gasket? If it was my landcruiser I would be but does it matter on these engines?
If you are going to go through all that time and effort to remove cylinder head, to replace the valve seals, because it is using a little oil, I would say that is a stretch. I would lap the valves, de-carbon everything, and set the valves while your in there. Do you plan on reusing head gaskets?

txmowman

Threads
Valve seats are not a service part offered from Kawasaki and are not replaceable. Though, check with StarTech, I’m sure he can make some from an old piece of pipe.

Mad_mat222

Threads
Please don’t bring personal jabs into this thread.

Mad_mat222

Threads
I have no problem with reusing the gasket unless someone advises against it. As I said, machine is running fine with no leaks. Just want to give it the appropriate tlc. I’m a tight ass but have no drama spending money in the right areas if it will prevent break downs and ensure longevity.

Bertrrr

Threads
I wouldn't think the seat is a problem - if it's using oil, maybe your valve guides are worn and I think they may be built into the block and not replaceable.

Mad_mat222

Threads
Seals can be replaced with head on but just wondering if inspecting the valves etc at 500hrs is worth it or as Bertrrr has stated, just leave it alone If it ain’t broke.