Kawasaki FH721V blowing smoke

floyd r turbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2012 (I believe) Z4 ran fine last year with 334 hrs and just a couple of weeks ago and then tried to start and it would run for a few seconds but blow a lot of white smoke and then die. All this smoke was more relevant for a water cooled motor with blown head gasket but not air cooled motor. So disgusted and tried started couple of more times, still huge clouds of smokes, let it sit for days while I looked online for an answer. The oil looks spic and span, haven't changed it yet for the new season but frankly shocked it looked so clean. But I only used it late August, Sept, Oct of last year on under 4 acres. It doesn't seem to be making any noises out of the ordinary and now its starting and running ok but a little blue smoke out of exhaust that was not there last season. Kind of afraid to run it. Guess I should do compression check to make sure valve seat or guide or valve itself is not causing issue. Before, when it was smoking real bad, it was barely running and saw some oil drops blowing out of exhaust pipe. ???? Anyone??? This really could be anything like rings but I'm baffled and really disappointed about what I'm reading about Kawasaki motors.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm baffled and really disappointed about what I'm reading about Kawasaki motors.
Um they make some of the best out there. Most problems are from poor or lack of maintenance. It ran great when it was new right? You loved Kawi then right?
She's getting old.
The oil looks spic and span
Do you check the oil level with the stick screwed all the way into the dip stick holder? Or do you park the stick on top of the dipstick threads, then pull for a reading? Big difference here.
now its starting and running ok but a little blue smoke out of exhaust that was not there last season.
Pull the oil dip stick out. Smell for fuel. You said the oil was clean, long shot here.

Sounds to me like over filled oil last season and or a blown head gasket. Make sure the oil level is proper first with aired up tires on flat ground.

Haven't read about any maintenance done on her in 12 years. Valves ran? Cooling fins cleaned yearly or sooner?

floyd r turbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Um they make some of the best out there. Most problems are from poor or lack of maintenance. It ran great when it was new right? You loved Kawi then right?

She's getting old.

Do you check the oil level with the stick screwed all the way into the dip stick holder? Or do you park the stick on top of the dipstick threads, then pull for a reading? Big difference here.

Pull the oil dip stick out. Smell for fuel. You said the oil was clean, long shot here.

Sounds to me like over filled oil last season and or a blown head gasket. Make sure the oil level is proper first with aired up tires on flat ground.

Haven't read about any maintenance done on her in 12 years. Valves ran? Cooling fins cleaned yearly or sooner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
water in the fuel ?
Oil leaking into exhaust

floyd r turbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the mower last year used from a reputable Hustler dealer who said it was owner's personal mower traded in on a larger model and he was a service manager who used dealer shop for maintenance. Oil was super clean as well as the mower. I used it end of last season. Just drained oil tonight and smelled like gas and its very thin, like oil has been diluted. I tried to find and initial response on internet that carb could have flooded and diluted oil in crankcase but haven't been able to find that article again. Before changing oil I've run the motor for under a minute a few times - initially I was having the heavy smoke and now that's gone away it was starting better but was concerned about damaging motor until I find problem. So maybe the float was stuck causing that white smoke? then straightened out but diluted crankcase oil. So putting in fresh oil/filter. and will start over in AM to run it and see if its still smoking with the fresh oil. Hope cylinder walls haven't been scored or worse, bearings scored. I thought if carb was flooding, motor would run rich or not at all. Still baffled. By the way, fins are clean, I blow mower off after mowing and when cool, I'll sometimes hose it down. I'm cognizant of motor and trans cooler must be kept clean and in top shape for longevity. Appreciate all comments and always learning so don't hesitate to hit me with you thoughts. I'll continue to update this thread for the record.

floyd r turbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought the mower last year used from a reputable Hustler dealer who said it was owner's personal mower traded in on a larger model and he was a service manager who used dealer shop for maintenance. Oil was super clean as well as the mower. I used it end of last season. Just drained oil tonight and smelled like gas and its very thin, like oil has been diluted. I tried to find and initial response on internet that carb could have flooded and diluted oil in crankcase but haven't been able to find that article again. Before changing oil I've run the motor for under a minute a few times - initially I was having the heavy smoke and now that's gone away it was starting better but was concerned about damaging motor until I find problem. So maybe the float was stuck causing that white smoke? then straightened out but diluted crankcase oil. So putting in fresh oil/filter. and will start over in AM to run it and see if its still smoking with the fresh oil. Hope cylinder walls haven't been scored or worse, bearings scored. I thought if carb was flooding, motor would run rich or not at all. Still baffled. By the way, fins are clean, I blow mower off after mowing and when cool, I'll sometimes hose it down. I'm cognizant of motor and trans cooler must be kept clean and in top shape for longevity. Appreciate all comments and always learning so don't hesitate to hit me with you thoughts. I'll continue to update this thread for the record.

floyd r turbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Btw, I'm hoping that dealer wasn't feeding me a line about that mower because my closest Hustler dealer doesn't seem to have a competent staff to maintain or even sell as I've been there to rent Hustlers in the past and had problems with one which I returned the following day and was not compensated with another model to use. Additionally, I had been in to look at different models a few times and they showed no interest in showing me any models. The other dealer, 25 miles away, had many in inventory and always had a couple used models to sell. They were also more keen to meet me face to face when I was looking and asking if I had questions etc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very common fault
A tiny it of crud gets stuck under the float valve so the fuel tank can syphon into the engine .
Usually simply removing the float bowl and allowing the fuel to pour out the carb will clear the obstruction
If the valve is good with you figer holding the float parallel to the floor of the carb and the engine crankin it shouls stop the fuel flow.
If the flat goes up & touches the carb body then it is time for a new float valve

floyd r turbo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just an update on this thread - I changed oil and filter after leaving drain open and flushing with some fresh oil to hopefully remove any fuel residue in crankcase. Put in 1.6 liters of 10w-30 as specified. When I started the mower it was still blowing oil smoke. Decided to cut 3/4 of acre and see what happened. After completing the yard, no more smoke so it sort of self cured?? Seems to run as it should. Thank you for all your help and suggestions. Will have to keep a close eye on motor, change fuel filter, air filter, and look into adjusting valves along with transmission components.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for coming back.
The thin oil ends up inside the muffler so can take a while to burn off