Kawasaki Air Cleaner

graydog

Threads
Personally....I think your idea is a great idea, good thinking out of the box...
Similar to when for about a year I had a BUNCH of left over scotch brite ( ..................

I have a 60 year old Lawn Boy. I still use it right up around the house.
It came with a filter that looks like an SOS pad but doesn't keep dirt out of carb. . I'm going to run out & buy a Scotch Brite Pad & make a better filter. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Foam wraps are available from all of the aftermarket suppliers at a reasonable price.
So it is a case of buying 3 or more wraps and swapping them every couple of mows .
They can be washed out in warm soapy water and are best washed with shampoo so you can take them with your into the shower
Pulling the filter off & replacing it too often damages the sealing surface on push on filters then they leak around there in prefference to to sucking through the flter because it is less restrictive .
When I service an engine, if the wrap is still in useable condition I wash it & give it back to the customer .
As a guess about 1/3 actually use them.
The commercial customers replace the wraps very regularly I sell them a lot of extra wraps but they do oil them.
Then there is a big difference between running a mower 5 hours a day and 3 hours a week .

Last edited:

logert gogert

Threads
Wait.....you arctially gonna use my idea....holy crap.?

And, no problem

Lawn Addict
Threads
I converted my FR Kawasaki air filter to the FX 2 stage canister style.

Check the link in my signature. Works super.

logert gogert

Threads
Speaking of that,
1. Believe me, it’s AWESOME
2. Why’d you do it?
3. What are the advantages or gains from doing it?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thank You. I did it because it is a much better filtration system.

And the small stock filter & wrap needed changed every year. Wrap always needed washed.

The FX system has almost 5X the filtering media. I only put approx 25 hours per year on.

The FX system can "usually" run 200 hours on the outer filter & more on the inner. But the Filter Minder® will show me visually when the filter is getting dirty.

That is why.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
X 3, That's about it.. Personally, I like the idea..

Now a much more free flowing air filter (like a K&N or such) could cause a LEAN condition, which could cause engine damage (burnt valves etc).. .

Buddy is too modest. He has fitted his Kawasaki engine with the best filtering system of all, a large pleated-paper air filter, complete with restriction indicator to show the operator how dirty the filter element has become. I would love to have this same system on my engine.

But I don't, so what I'm doing is to buy extra foam filter wraps and exchange a clean one every 10 hours or so.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cpurvis- Appreciate the compliment.(y) Another reason I did this, I had the idea in my head since I bought my Kawasaki powered Toro in Aug, 20/ 2014, but let the warranty expire first, & talking with my Dealer, he said what I had planned can NOT be done.

That certainly helped with my incentive.

I would add your elevation where you live is important here, as too high of an elevation would likely require a step down 1 jet size or so to lean it out depending, & visa-versa. My system & elevation worked out well, as I'm still running the OE jetting, & Plugs still read very well.

Buddy

Last edited: