Kawasaki Air Cleaner

graydog

Threads
My 25HP Kawasaki has an oblong paper air filter and a foam pre-filter over that. They are both pretty expensive and get dirty quickly. I add a wrap of 3M Vetrap over the foam cleaner and then replace it often, saving the pre-cleaner and the paper cleaner from getting so dirty so soon. The 3M Vetrap is the same stretchy stuff the doctor wraps around your arm when you get a shot. It stretches and sticks to its self. The Vetrap I use is the same stuff except it is made for doctoring animals; horses, dogs, etc. You can buy it at a vet supply store and probably Petsmart. It comes in a variety of colors.

This idea came to me from my son, who raced stock cars and wrapped it around the air cleaner on his race car. It is porous enough to flow plenty of air, even for a 350 Chevy V8 racing engine.

In the first photo, this is a new roll of red still in package.
In second, this is one dirty wrap I am replacing
In third, this shows inner paper air cleaner, the foam outer pre-cleaner, and the 3M Vetrap I am about to apply.
In fourth, it shows holding dirty wrap up to sunlight to show how dirty it got.
In fifth, it is ready to go back onto the carburetor.
In sixth, this is the new roll of white I used.

Sorry I could not rotate the photos. Click them to enlarge.

Attachments

• GD Vetrap 1 .jpg
    GD Vetrap 1 .jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 16
  • GD Vetrap 2.jpg
    GD Vetrap 2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 21
  • GD Vetrap 3.jpg
    GD Vetrap 3.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 20
  • GD Vetrap 4.jpg
    GD Vetrap 4.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 20
  • GD Vetrap 5.jpg
    GD Vetrap 5.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 18
  • GD Vetrap 6.jpg
    GD Vetrap 6.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 16

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I disagree with your idea, you're restricting fresh air to your engine. Foam pre-filter can simply be cleaned with mild soap and warm water and let air dry. Air filters are the most neglected & yet easiest & one of the least expensive parts to change on any engine. Altering parts, especially air filters, as you have described, can starve an engine of fresh air resulting in major internal damage to engine components. Air filters should be checked often, especially when finished mowing in dusty conditions.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something I wouldn't do because I replace my air filter once a year. If you want to get longer life from your air filter it looks like a good idea to me. A pre-filter to your pre-filter.

primerbulb120

Threads
I disagree with your idea, you're restricting fresh air to your engine. Foam pre-filter can simply be cleaned with mild soap and warm water and let air dry. Air filters are the most neglected & yet easiest & one of the least expensive parts to change on any engine. Altering parts, especially air filters, as you have described, can starve an engine of fresh air resulting in major internal damage to engine components. Air filters should be checked often, especially when finished mowing in dusty conditions.

How can restriction of the air filter cause major engine damage?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
How can restriction of the air filter cause major engine damage?

I was thinking the same thing. If anything it would make for a richer running engine. More carbon buildup is the only thing I can come up with?

graydog

Threads
I disagree with your idea, you're restricting fresh air to your engine.........................

The Vetrap is very porous. It is not nearly as restrictive as a dirty OEM foam pre-filter. It mostly just stops the pieces of trash before they get to the pre-filter. I replace the Vetrap about every 20 hours and find it is covered with dead grass with hardly any dirt and trash passing thru to the pre-filter.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was thinking the same thing. If anything it would make for a richer running engine. More carbon buildup is the only thing I can come up with?

X 3, That's about it.. Personally, I like the idea..

Now a much more free flowing air filter (like a K&N or such) could cause a LEAN condition, which could cause engine damage (burnt valves etc).. .

graydog

Threads
it's funny the airflow is being discussed. In the 2nd and 4th photo, the reason there is a white area on the Vetrap is because the Kawasaki's OEM cover for the cleaner pressed up against the Vetrap and/or pre-filter restricting air from moving thru the filter in that area. Even without the Vetrap, that area of the pre-filter is blocked. I suppose K. made the cover and then later decided to add the pre-filter even though there was no room for it.

logert gogert

Threads
Personally....I think your idea is a great idea, good thinking out of the box...
Similar to when for about a year I had a BUNCH of left over scotch brite ( it’s that hard green stuff on top of sponges )
And I just used scotch bright as a air filter lol