Kawasaki 24HP Engine rebuild

triemer17

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a Hustler Raptor with a 60" deck from a guy who claimed it just hadn't run in a few years. After taking the entire engine apart I realized it shot a rod, and there was a hole in the crankcase that I hadn't previously noticed. My local small engine shop said they couldn't repair the hole, so I'm trying to get the engine up and running again without breaking the budget. The engine is a Kawasaki FR730V-AS22, I'm looking for a parts engine or a short block that I can use to create a complete engine. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find one? I'll also need a connecting rod and a piston. Parts #'s below as best as I could find:

Crankcase: 49120-0858
Piston: 13001-7027
Connecting rod: 13251-7025

I have been able to find all these parts online, but buying everything I need would cost about $650 when factoring in shipping, and I can't afford to sink that kind of money into it, especially because I don't know if anything else was damaged when it blew up.
I'd like to repair the existing hole, but I have no experience with that kind of thing and I don't know if that's a bad idea. I tried posting a picture, not sure if it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_20210907_143524.jpg
    IMG_20210907_143524.jpg
    616.7 KB · Views: 11

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can the hole be repaired? Yes, anything can be repaired, but I would never recommend it. You don’t know if other areas have been compromised or if all internal bushing surfaces on the case and cover are still within specs. Your best bet is to scowl your local dealers for a used engine which you may be able to use as is or use the block if the cylinder is good. To be honest I myself would chalk it up to a learning experience as if you stick any more $$$ into it, you could get to a point of no return. Sorry for the bad news, but I must be brutally honest, as I’ve seen this situation occur to people too many times before.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For the time being look at the surplus engine retailers
small engine suppliers
small engine warehouse
surplus center
For a replacement engine
Any engine around the same size will fit all that is important is the PTO diameter and length and the alternator output.
After that everything can be worked around and plenty here to guide you during the replacement .
5 Hp either way will not make much of a difference for residential use .
If it is a 1" shaft then plenty to choose from for less than the price of the replacement parts
If it has a 1.125" shaft not so many and a lot more expensive.
To me the buy of the month is the GXV Honda 630 from the surplus center.

triemer17

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the feedback, I will begin shopping for a replacement engine. It is a 1" diameter output shaft that is 3-5/32" long and a 15 Amp alternator output. I assume I need to get one that exactly matches 15 amps?

Also, if I get a Kawasaki how can I tell if the starter/muffler will be compatible?