Export thread

Kawasaki 22hp vtwin

B

briarscratch

How do you avoid dealing with John Deere? Have a zero turn that the Kawasaki motor blew up and I want to replace the motor. The Code for the motor is FX651V-BS02-R. Every other dealer in my area refers me back to John Deere saying they cant get the parts or new motor. I really would rather not deal with them anymore. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

I

ILENGINE

There are other Kawasaki engines or other engine brands that will fit. the issue the dealers are having is since the engine is on a JD the Kawasaki dealers don't have parts diagram access to that variation number because it is a JD exclusive engine.

B

briarscratch

Its a John Deere 910A with the above engine. Any recommendations on particular model that would fit? Want to buy a new or newer engine to replace instead of a rebuild. Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Lots of engines will bolt up. The question is are the electrics and connectors the same? Deere specs their engins and there is always some differences, usually with the electrics. You would need the engine wiring and the JD mower wiring and match things up.

B

briarscratch

Well I was careful and took photos of all the connections when I removed the motor. Looks like I will have to get someone else to assist cause this is over my head. Thanks for the feed back

B

bertsmobile1

Any FX, FR or FS engine will fit provided they have the same crank diameter as they come in both 1" & 1 &1/8"
The only difference in the FX from the FR & FS is the carb & the blower housing.
Thus your cheapest repair will be to buy an FS 651 and swap over the blower housing
Forgot about the carbs
The 3 engines are built on the same short block so they will all interchange
as is the 691 ( you check by the bore & stroke ).
So the cheapest has a small alternator, single barrel carb ,plastic blower housing and internal filter ( which is not particularly good )
Net price jump gets you a bigger alternator & a 2 barrel carb
Next step gives you a metal blower housing & external Donaldson type air filter
Small Engine Suppliers
Small Engine Warehouse
Should both have some FS or FR 651's
If not Repower definately will

as a rule of thumb you can ignore Hp it is meaningless when it comes to repowering an engine.
Engines are built in crankcases and most suppliers will start with a bore & stroke, the increase the bore
Then increase the stroke
Then increase the bore
Then increase the stroke
And on and on
Usually engines of the same stroke will interchange
Engines with a longer stroke tend to be longer & wider as they have bigger crankshafts

So when looking for a replacement you look at the capacity of the engine not the Hp
Hp variations are done by changing the carb main jet and governor springs if at all .
So any single capacity engine will usually come in 3 Hp ratings

M

Midnight_Rider

Toro dealers and parts dealers can help you as my Toro ss5000 came with the same basic FR651V Kawi engine...Youll reuse everything on the outside of the engine itself..yours should be the 1 1/8" shaft..

I converted my Air filter from FR651V to a FX

But the FR & FS are single barrel carbs, the FX is a 2 barrel, but intake manifold & carb are easily swapped to FR or FS

But here's a place to get complete engines pretty reasonable: https://mailchi.mp/surpluscenter/4qsvwgbwb2-762721?e=e8e523a6ef

4getgto

4getgto

Check these guys out.
"repowerpros.com"
Had good luck with them and very knowledgeable.

B

Boit4866

What does ‘blew up’ mean? Did a piston/rod exit through the crankcase?

B

briarscratch

Yes, I am guessing a rod. To big holes in the block. Currently trying to find a short block and have it rebuilt. Any help would be appreciated. John Deere will not sell a short block on its own only the hole engine. Going to check with the places provided above tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

B

briarscratch

Toro dealers and parts dealers can help you as my Toro ss5000 came with the same basic FR651V Kawi engine...Youll reuse everything on the outside of the engine itself..yours should be the 1 1/8" shaft..
I was under the impression that john deere tapers their shafts. So you are saying any 1 1/8 shaft will work?

StarTech

StarTech

I was under the impression that john deere tapers their shafts. So you are saying any 1 1/8 shaft will work?
The FX651 has a 28.5mm [1.122047"] (approx 1-1/8") and no JD don't taper their shafts. It is generator engines that have tapered shafts.

There are other Kawasaki engines or other engine brands that will fit. the issue the dealers are having is since the engine is on a JD the Kawasaki dealers don't have parts diagram access to that variation number because it is a JD exclusive engine.
They just don't know where to look up those engines. I haven't brought a JD Kawasaki engine part from JD in years with only a few expections. JD does have their own PNs but if you know where to look the Kawasaki PNs can be gotten and ordered usually through a Kawasaki parts distributor with a few exceptions of JD only parts. On the engine listed in post #1 I have no problem looking it up. Matter of fact the crankshaft is PN 13031-0823.

Kawasaki does sell short blocks for the FX & FS, but not the FR. Why IDK ?

B

bertsmobile1

Kawasaki does sell short blocks for the FX & FS, but not the FR. Why IDK ?
AFAIK the short block for FS is the same as the FR
The actual castings are the same although I think ( too lazy to check ) the FX has a different crank
I have swapped a lot of FR's for FX's and then transferred all of the good gear off the FX onto the FR with no problems everything just bolted right on

S

slomo

How do you avoid dealing with John Deere? Have a zero turn that the Kawasaki motor blew up and I want to replace the motor. The Code for the motor is FX651V-BS02-R. Every other dealer in my area refers me back to John Deere saying they cant get the parts or new motor. I really would rather not deal with them anymore. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

This isn't a John Deere problem. Your issue is with Kawasaki or actually all the owners of said engine. Pretty sure with proper maintenance, that motor would of been fine. Someone with a little small engine knowledge would of kept her going.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

FS & FX 651V/691V/730V
1 1/8" x 100MM PTO
Shortblock P/N: 59341-0016

AFAIK the short block for FS is the same as the FR
The actual castings are the same although I think ( too lazy to check ) the FX has a different crank
I have swapped a lot of FR's for FX's and then transferred all of the good gear off the FX onto the FR with no problems everything just bolted right on

Bert- All I know is my Dealer said the FR can not get a short block (if ever needed, when I bought mine new) but FS can get a short block. Now my Factory manual shows same specs for FR & FS, except for air filter, the FS one has a mesh screen... Doh..

The FX comes with a 2 barrel carb & intake & the Donaldson 2 stage filter set up. Like I upgraded mine to. But I didn't switch to a 2 barrel carb set-up. I like it the way it is..

The crank may be different, but IIRC it is same stroke as FR & FS.