Kawa instead of Kohler Command CH740

ChuckT

Threads
Bought an CC XT3 GSX in 20018. 6 Years later she's using oil. About 1qt/hour (mowing session, we are on 3 acres).
I checked in the Spring and a replacement Kohler was just shy of $ 3K.
But I like Kawas better, so is there a drop-in replacement? Anybody tried?
{PS: NOT impressed with MTD/CC. Best thing about the XT3 is the electric power-steering. So maybe bite the bullet and go ZTR. }

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Drop in Kaw replacement NO. Not without a different exhaust system, possible changes to the wiring, and then having to deal with the shaft drive adapter going from Kohler to Kaw. And I would suspect that a comparable Kaw would also be in that 3K range.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
If you get a Kawasaki engine, you will likely have to do some modifications, but it will be well worth it. Kawasaki engines are great quality compared to Kohler.Kawasaki engines are great quality compared to Kohler.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If Kawasaki engine are such great quality why do I have to repair 3 times as many Kawasaki engines as Rehlko with repair bills being 2-3 times higher than the Rehlko counterparts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I don't know about the bad apples, but my Kawasaki repairs have exceeded my Kohler and Briggs repairs the last 3 years running. And I am not even a Kawasaki dealer.

But I will add this. Most of my Kohler and Briggs repairs are do to not running correctly, mostly carb issues, but it seems like the Kawasaki people will run them until the quit and they are to the point of bent pushrods, firing on one cylinder due to a faulty ignition module and not charging the battery because the stator and voltage regulator are relieved of their factory smoke.

Last edited:

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I don't have a Kawasaki at the moment, but when it came down to keeping a tractor with a Briggs V twin or a Kohler 7400 V twin, I did not want to have the constant carb issues with Briggs, so I kept the tractor with the Kohler or, "Rehlco" engine. But there's a reason Kawasaki's are on a lot of commercial mowers. Maybe in the future, I will do a Kawasaki swap.🤔

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think a lot of it comes down to Briggs primarily playing in the consumer market but dabbling in the commercial market with the Vanguard but hasn't really went mainstream. Kohler was primarily a commercial engine company that jumped into the consumer market and really hasn't done them any favors. Kawasaki for the most part has stayed in the semi-commercial to commercial markets which is where Kohler/Rehlko should of stayed.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Bought an CC XT3 GSX in 20018. 6 Years later she's using oil. About 1qt/hour (mowing session, we are on 3 acres).
{PS: NOT impressed with MTD/CC. Best thing about the XT3 is the electric power-steering. So maybe bite the bullet and go ZTR. }

There is nothing to be impressed with when it comes to MTD and Cub Cadet. Some are good, some are bad, and most are just “OK.” Using a quart an hour is crazy when it probably only holds 1.75 quarts of oil. She has got to be smoking pretty bad and fouling plugs.

kbowley

Threads
Frankly, it is HIGHLY unusual for a Kohler command to fail after such short use. They are solid 2k hr. engines if maintained. It just doesn't get any better. Something isn't right. I'll take a command over any Kawsucky any day. "Kawasaki makes the junkyards grow..." (old dirt bike saying). What would I do; get in contact with the local Kohler rep and discuss with him.