K46 Tuff Torq Transmisson

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
The whole thing is driven by greed
The consumer actually pays nearly the same if they buy cheap and replace rather than repair
The big difference in Stihl, Husqvarna, Briggs, Stanley GE, Ford etc etc etc get nearly all of the money with the disposal system and higher volumes allows greater profits from lower margins making the goods appear to be cheaper but if course the consumption of resources increases at a massive rate & of course it costs the consumers time as being worth zero while they are continually deciding what to buy
With the repair method, the factories do not get the volume so as they need to make the same amount of total profit, prices have to rise
On top of that they only get one lot of profits from you every 20 to 30 years because the repairer makes the profits from repair.

I get my boots resoled
The combat heel & sole costs $ 35 wholesale and the bootmaker charges $ 15 to fit them including stitching the toe on because the modern glues are nowhere near as strong as the old Benzine based ones were
New boots are only $ 50 so the ones I am wearing now that have been resoled 5 times could have been replaced but it takes a long time to wear in a pair of steel caps & of course the old boot can not be recycled
The workshop produces one 5 gal bucket of garbage a month and my house generates two 5 gallon buckets of waste a year.
Everything that can be recycled or repurposed is.
200 football fields of native forrest are cut down annually just to make the packaging for apple I phones in order to save the extra $ 1.75 per package it would cost to use 100% recycled paper, and that is on a $ 500+ phone which has over $ 300 of gross mark up

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The cardboard my little one mans shop generates from parts shipments is staggering. Most parts are boxed then shipped in another box. My recycling bin is overflowing every week with cardboard.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cardboard my little one mans shop generates from parts shipments is staggering. Most parts are boxed then shipped in another box. My recycling bin is overflowing every week with cardboard.
This is one reason why I keep a large inventory and with a bit of luck only have to place on order on each supplier each month

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Has anyone on this forum ever purchased a new K46 transmisson directly from Tuff Torq?

Will Tuff Torq sell complete transmissons to the general public or do we have to go through a supplier of theirs?

My Dad owns a 2010 model John Deere D170 which has been garage kept since he purchased it. Unfortunately though the lawm mower now has over 500 hours on it and the transmisson has all but quit. We have changed the oil in transmisson each year but this last oil change did little to help our issue. Our yard is 3/4 hills & slope with very little flat terrain which probably hasn't helped his lawn mower. The mower still looks brand new and to me is worth putting money back in versus buying a new mower.

I tried emailing Tuff Torq this morning but never received a answer back. If anyone knows for certain that Tuff Torq sells to the general public I would appreciate you letting me know. If we must go through a supplier I would appreciate any websites you may have which sells a K46.

Thank You
Give Tuff Torque a call in the a.m. & ask for price of KIT vs. cost of new K46. 1-423-585-2000 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Make sure to write down all information from barcode sticker at backside right of transaxle & give this information to whomever you talk to, numbers must match.
Please keep us informed, thanks, Mark

Last edited: