K46 Tuff Torq Transmisson

GovtMule66

Threads
Has anyone on this forum ever purchased a new K46 transmisson directly from Tuff Torq?

Will Tuff Torq sell complete transmissons to the general public or do we have to go through a supplier of theirs?

My Dad owns a 2010 model John Deere D170 which has been garage kept since he purchased it. Unfortunately though the lawm mower now has over 500 hours on it and the transmisson has all but quit. We have changed the oil in transmisson each year but this last oil change did little to help our issue. Our yard is 3/4 hills & slope with very little flat terrain which probably hasn't helped his lawn mower. The mower still looks brand new and to me is worth putting money back in versus buying a new mower.

I tried emailing Tuff Torq this morning but never received a answer back. If anyone knows for certain that Tuff Torq sells to the general public I would appreciate you letting me know. If we must go through a supplier I would appreciate any websites you may have which sells a K46.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 9

Paffman60

Forum Newbie
Threads
I myself have X300 John Deere with the same transmission and have a few problems, to say the least. The first problem I had with the transmission it was growling loudly and didn't move too good. So like yourself I went to Tuff Torq and they wanted just a mear 1000 bucks for a new one. So after thinking only a 1000 bucks, that's 1/3 of what I paid for the mower new, I started looking at more info on these transmissions I found out they are just a throwaway part. Because you can buy one for only 1000 bucks, are they crazy? Second, this transmission is one that doesn't have a filter and a plug to drain the fluid out like the next X model up has which is quite a bit more in price. Anyway, I ended up buying parts to rebuild it and it lasted another 4 years and then back to bad again. I then just looked on eBay and found one for 600 dollars brand new and bought it and have used it for 5 years and need to change the fluid which isn't easy. There are J/D dealers that will sell them cheaper than Tuff Torq so just look a bit. Good luck to you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the transmission is 1/3 the price of mower, the engine is another 1/3 and all the other bits make up the last 1/3 , more or less.
If the tranny has gone then you either rebuild it or replace it but with an upgrade the next model up with drain plugs, & replaceable filters.
Again it all goes back to purchasers who live in cloud cookoo land where everything they want to own is there for them at a price they can easily pay for .
If you go to Mulligans Transmissions web page you will see they list most of the common transmissions then all of the direct replacement upgrades

Last edited:

nbpt100

Threads
Thanks for that info Bert. They say it is not serviceable but it sure seems like it is a good idea change it periodically. Not easy but doable for anyone with average mechanical ability. Sorta like the Briggs engine they tell you there is never a need to change the oil. If you want it to last well beyond the warranty period, I certainly would.

Just wondering what oil people have used in their Tuff Torq K46 or K58. I have read people find they run more quiet with synthetic 5w-50 or 15w-50. If you never intend to use the tractor in the cold weather the 15w-50 seems to be reasonable.

nbpt100

Threads
5w-50 is not that common but I was at an O'reilly's today and saw Lucas 5w - 50 on the shelf.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If that best suits your weather temps..

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tuff Torq oil is 15W50 Synthetic so that is what they recommend for these transaxles.

As for complete unit costs it depends if you are individual or a repair shop. This unit currently retails for $710.61 per my distributor. Now my cost is considerably lower as a shop owner but I need to make a profit. Now online dealer prices can vary as it depends on their pricing structure.

nbpt100

Threads
Tuff Torq oil is 15W50 Synthetic so that is what they recommend for these transaxles.

As for complete unit costs it depends if you are individual or a repair shop. This unit currently retails for $710.61 per my distributor. Now my cost is considerably lower as a shop owner but I need to make a profit. Now online dealer prices can vary as it depends on their pricing structure.

nbpt100

Threads
Thanks Star Tech. Some have speculated it is 5w-50 since they say that has been the factory fill on some of the units. They do keep it a mystery. If you take a look at the attached you will see the factory fill ranges from JD Hy-Gard-Low or Hy viscosity to 10w-30 to Synthetic 5w-50. If someone uses their tractor in the winter wouldn't you think Synthetic 5w -50 may be better?

Do you rebuild them or do you find it is not worth doing so and just install new?. The Rebuild kits on Ebay are $375 and up.

Attachments

• Fluids and Lubricants.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 7