Just took my Scag to get serviced

cassstl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just took my tiger into dealer to get complete serviced. I can't wait to get it back. New blades,filters,plugs,oil,steering dampers,greased fittings,belts etc... Can't wait to see how she mows when I get it back:thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
KennyV said:
Are you Still Mowing in Georgia ?
:smile:KennyV

A lot of people here mow year round Depends on the grass they have. Fescue grows year round. I know a few that will over seed there grass with rye grass so they can have a Green lawn in the winter. In the spring when there grass comes back to life the rye will die off. On the golf course we still cut the putting greens once a day as bent grass grows best in the cold

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Chev

Threads
I was wondering how they stay green all winter.

The bentgrass spreading into the fringe looks like overspray. My neighbor is almost positive that they paint the greens. Ha ha ha.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
He is half right the fertilizer has a green dye.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just took my tiger into dealer to get complete serviced. I can't wait to get it back. New blades,filters,plugs,oil,steering dampers,greased fittings,belts etc... Can't wait to see how she mows when I get it back:thumbsup:

Let us know how it runs and how much it cost!!! how many hours on the machine?
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

cassstl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I Just got it back from service. Runs & Mows Great. You can really hear the air/muffling noise from the blades now that the mulching blades are gone. Quick Question. I had the oil changed & on the right side of the mower I believe is the drain bolt/screw fitting for the oil drain. How do you tighten that. What tool/socket do you use. It's directly below the Oil Filter. It's dripping slightly and I want to make sure they tightened it down all the way. Thanks so much!!!!! Also would someone please post a pic of the Grass Discharge Plastic Chute so I can see in color how the spring & bolts are mounted. I looked at a parts diagram but they suck. Thanks So much!!!!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The type of engine oil drain valve varys between engine manufacturers. however with the oil filter right above the drain valve there may be some residule oil around it from when the oil filter was removed. I would wash the area with a mild solvent to remove any left over oil from the filter change and still check the drain valve.
I have a 26 HP B&S ELS engine on my Tiger Cub and I use an oil withdrawal system to remove the engine oil by putting the suction tube into the dipstick tube with the dipstick removed. I also have modified a small plastic pan to catch most of the engine oil that drips from the oil filter when I remove it. I wipe the oil from the filter housing and quickly install a new filter. On my machine I also put several shop towels around the electric clutch to prevent engine oil from dripping onto it.
As for the deck chute, I usually have the collection blower on the deck and seldom use the plastic chute, but I keep it handy should I decide to not use the collection system. I have two pins that I slip into the chute when I install it on the deck, an easy install or removal. The tang of the spring fits into it's hole in the deck, the chute is spring loaded to the down position.
In season I change engine oil every 20-25 hours and the filter every other oil change. I am slowly getting out of the commercial mowing business, I'm down to about 15 hours a week in season, and this is spread across two machines, but mostly the Tiger Cub. I have two Hustler ZTRs on order, one for the cemetery assoc of which I am a member and the other for me. The one for me will be used exclusively on a large property for which I am the responsible party. Both of these machines will have rear discharge decks and Hustler is one of the few manufacturers that offers rear discharge decks. I'm not bailing out on Scag!!!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as mulching blades are concerned, these newer design Scag decks rely heavily on air flow to exit clippings. When this airflow is reduced then the deck will get crudded up underneath and not function correctly. With a collection system on my machine, a different set of deck baffles are installed which are closer to the blade tips and adjustable. Mine are setup for a 3" cut height and I have never adjusted them. These baffles reduce the amount of blowout of grass clippings from under the deck while mowing with the collection system. But these baffles can hang up on things so I have a different method to mowing with a collection system and frequently raise the deck with the foot lever to clear the high spots which are rocks, roots, or stumps. I go thru three sets of blades in a normal year and I buy them on line by the case. These are the high lift blades found on newer Scag ZTRs.