Just Bought a Toro

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using it once a month will allow the grass to dry and stick, we recommend after each use for about three minutes.

rajon

Threads
Music to my ears (eyes). I am a maintanence nut. A trait (disease?) I inhereted from my father. Anyone else here gut your toilets every other year and write with sharpie on the inside of the tank that you did it? Oil the fan on your water heater twice a year per the manual? (did you even read the manual?)

In my young (10 year) career in the automotive industry I have actually written a number of pages for owners manuals because I tend to work on advance, non carry over technologies. I can appreciate the time and effort that engineers take to write down how to take care of their products. Most of us are not very good at writing or communicating to anyone not trained in our esoteric way of thinking. Your manual and maintenance guide is more than a document, it is a gift from some geek somewhere.

Sorry for the rant, I will go back to doing geeky things.

Moldyoldie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cleaned under the deck this afternoon and saw very little stuck-on residue. What was there, however, practically peeled off as if it was one of those peel-off fruit roll-ups, shiny backing and all! No, I wasn't tempted to eat it :)tongue:), but was certainly curious about what caused the shiny effect. Will it always be there whenever I clean or is it because of a temporary factory coating on the underdeck?

rajon

Threads
Interesting thought - coating of Pam before mowing? :laughing:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will be there for awhile, better it is kept clean the longer it will stay. I think (my opinion) Toro is trying a new paint.

rajon

Threads
The first cut is the deepest.

...Or 2 3/4"

Well my total mowing time went from a frustrating 90 minutes to a breathtaking 50 minutes. I had to all but run to keep up with the personal pace. It seemed the closer I got the faster it went (sarcasm included)

Lines were straight, not as deep as my craftsman, cleared up sooner. Mulch debris was so minimal I didn't even bother pulling my blower out.

I tried the washout port. It cleared about 90% of the gunk on the bottom and I was able to get the rest with a wad of paper towel.

All in all 5/5.

stygz

Threads
I have been thinking of getting the same model (either honda or toro engine). How is the new toro motor? I have been comparing toro to a Honda HRX series mower.

Currently I have a Lawn Boy Platinum (green Toro super bagger) with a briggs motor. I dont know why I have a super bagger when I only bag once a year. If I end up with a Toro I will have to order it through speedway sales because no dealers here stock Toro except Home Depot. As far as Honda goes Home depot stocks the HRX I am interested in but no dealer stocks them.

rajon

Threads
I did the same comparison and my thinking went as such...

The HRX requires 4 controls to start the mower, the Toro - 2. That is twice the potential failure points.

Two blades? That is twice as many to sharpen.

Honda engine vs Toro Engine?

Is Honda really going to send their best engines to a competitor?

Same specs, same 5 year warranty, Toro motor was $60 cheaper.

I work for an auto supplier and at the time was working on a Honda project so I was a bit biased against them so take the above with a grain of salt. So far I am very happy with the Toro motor.

Threads
.......Two blades? That is twice as many to sharpen.....

It's not like there are two sets of blades, they are just split at the end for better mulching. I doubt it takes much longer to sharpen, and it results in a better cut! :thumbsup:
twin blade.jpg twin blade 2.jpg

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I did the same comparison and my thinking went as such...

The HRX requires 4 controls to start the mower, the Toro - 2. That is twice the potential failure points.

Two blades? That is twice as many to sharpen.

Honda engine vs Toro Engine?

Is Honda really going to send their best engines to a competitor?

Same specs, same 5 year warranty, Toro motor was $60 cheaper.

I work for an auto supplier and at the time was working on a Honda project so I was a bit biased against them so take the above with a grain of salt. So far I am very happy with the Toro motor.

If you're looking for the best residential mower on the market, IMO and I know you wont agree Rivets :wink: the HRX 21 in. GCV190 Smart Drive Variable Speed Self-Propelled Walk-Behind Mower With Micro-Cut twin blades with the 4-in-1 Versa mow system will provide the best leaf shredding, bagging, mulching and discharge performance there is going and the price is hard too beat, my :2cents: for what it's worth.