Just a blown head gasket or worse ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have a 2008 F150 at work. Intake manifold leaked and sucked 2 gallons of coolant from the cooling system. Had no heat in the winter. Ford Fleet shop said we were 2 gallons low. Only holds like 2-2.5 gallons total LOL. The other day I put 4 quarts of oil in her. She would rattle on initial startup. She holds like 6 quarts total.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No it was clean as new with 4 fresh quarts added LOL.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blown gasket between cylinder and valve enclosure will increase pressure in the crankcase and cause the dipstick to bounce. Simple test when you are in the field and need to quickly diagnose the problem for the customer without tearing into the engine. Very little bounce if the gasket is fine.

Thanks you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seen it many times when the gasket has blown a small hole on the outer edge, sounds like it’s whistling.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seen it many times when the gasket has blown a small hole on the outer edge, sounds like it’s whistling.
Guy brought me a Kohler command twin that ran fine but whistled when cranking. Another shop said it needed a $300 carb. Was a blown head gasket.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Guy brought me a Kohler command twin that ran fine but whistled when cranking. Another shop said it needed a $300 carb. Was a blown head gasket.

Some shops just don't have a clue. They'll spend 2 hours replacing the wrong parts just to save 10 minutes of diagnosis.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many years ago when Dell was getting started. My company contracted to do 3 third party service on their business computers. Parts were always overnighted to the customer and we were to just install them. We were not allowed to troubleshoot. Only change parts that 9 out of ten times didn't fix it. Best part is when they would send out a blank HDD with instructions for us to reinstall the OEM OS which we didn't have. The whole thing an absolute cluster. Dell making promises we couldn't keep and our upper management bitching that we were spending too much time on Dell stuff and not OUR customers. After a year they finally terminated the Dell contract.
We asked Dell why we were not allowed to troubleshoot their PCs they said we weren't qualified. We had to laugh because we had been maintaining high end windows and linux based print servers and our own PCs for years. Can't fix corporate stupid.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Many years ago when Dell was getting started. My company contracted to do 3 third party service on their business computers. Parts were always overnighted to the customer and we were to just install them. We were not allowed to troubleshoot. Only change parts that 9 out of ten times didn't fix it. Best part is when they would send out a blank HDD with instructions for us to reinstall the OEM OS which we didn't have. The whole thing an absolute cluster. Dell making promises we couldn't keep and our upper management bitching that we were spending too much time on Dell stuff and not OUR customers. After a year they finally terminated the Dell contract.
We asked Dell why we were not allowed to troubleshoot their PCs they said we weren't qualified. We had to laugh because we had been maintaining high end windows and linux based print servers and our own PCs for years. Can't fix corporate stupid.
Good to know on the squealing and whistling blown head gasket. I will remember that information for in the future.