Just a blown head gasket or worse ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Top off the oil to the FULL mark. Not above and not below. Read this again.

Do this prior to EVERY MOW. Only takes about 4 seconds people. Not over taxing at all to the body.

Walk the yard PRIOR to mowing. This will save blades and other related items if you were to hit a log chain for example.

Your mower will be fine. It's probably a Briggs and will run on a tablespoon of oil LOL. Let us know what you find.

Bricklinguy

Threads
Slomo, You are totally correct. And I admit, I got lazy. Now I'm paying the price.
Same with walking the yard.
No log chains in mine, but one sliver of firewood hiding in the weeds was enough to take out a deck spindle bearing when it locked up the blades.
And I hope you're correct about the tablespoon of oil, as that's about what was in it when it quit.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try this quick test to possibly confirm your thoughts. Unscrew the dipstick and allow it to freely rest on the tube. Start the engine and watch the dipstick. If it starts jumping around you’ve confirmed that you have a blown head gasket. Replacing a head gasket on OHV engines for those with moderate mechanical ability and good reading skills. Let us know what you find and be sure you include all three enginE numbers, model, type and code.

If the head gasket was fine, what would the dip stick do? And what would make it jump around if the head gasket was bad?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Blown gasket between cylinder and valve enclosure will increase pressure in the crankcase and cause the dipstick to bounce. Simple test when you are in the field and need to quickly diagnose the problem for the customer without tearing into the engine. Very little bounce if the gasket is fine.

Bricklinguy

Threads
I have a gasket set on order and should be here in a couple of days.
If I get home in time tonight, I'll start top end disassembly. Blown head gaskets should be readily apparent.
I'll report back with my findings.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the head and block gasket surface for flatness. Nearly every head I've removed for what ever reason, the sucker was warped. Same with the block. Little plate glass and some 400 grit wet/dry action.

Don't just toss on a new gasket. Then wonder why they are on their fourth head gasket job....

Bricklinguy

Threads
Slomo. Thanks for the FYI. Good advice. I have experience with old motorcycle carbs where the mating flange warped over time allowing air to get sucked in. So the SOP is to tape some good wet or dry sandpaper onto plate glass or better yet, a machine shop surface plate and lap them in. Since my motor most likely overheated, its quite likely that at least the heads warped blowing the gaskets.
I can only hope that is the extent of the damage !