John deere rx75 won't move

ba_50

Threads
Does one belt control forward and one reverse? Reverse speed seems ok, but forward is very slow.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No. This mower uses what appear to be a single speed CVT transaxle system. It sounds like the forward gear is either not being fully engaged or there maybe a off chance the brake caliper is partially struck.

Without having seen one these in my shop I can only go by the IPL of the transaxle but based on what I have seen with the MTD CVT transaxle I would think there is a bad forward gear and shift keys.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The pedal on the left is the clutch, the right one is the brake. Clutch is like a car, pedal up is the drive position. If you put gear lever in neutral mower should roll freely. Move lever to a forward gear position and mower sould not roll easily. Put mower in neutral. Clutch pedal down start the engine. Slowly release the clutch pedal. If the engine stalls you have a seized pulley or idler on one of the belts. Probably the CVT pulley.

ba_50

Threads
I was wrong about the forward/ backward speeds. They are about the same. Slow. The variable shift lever doesn't have much if any effect about 2/3 to full forward.
Wouldn't the belt affect the speed, or how can I adjust the speed? I don't think it is the transmission since it moves smoothly and consistantly.

With the motor revved up it makes a loud shrill sound but not at slower speeds. Pulley?
Hope these pictures help. I couldn't resize them enough to upload.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well I think you are just guessing at what wrong now. As said for bearing squealing you need check the three idlers and the variator pulley (the sliding sheave pulley) bearings. The speed adjustment is automatic as you shift from lower speeds to higher speeds. This done as tension is applied the variator making the engine to variator belt tighter thus slide the center of the variator down tightening the variator to transaxle belt. Basically the engine pulley side gets smaller and the transaxle get larger. This changes the speed at which the variator driven. Ie It spins faster as the pulley get smaller.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You have 2 things in the drivetrain. The axle has the forward and reverse gears. The speed is controlled by the 2 belts in the CVT. You probably need to replace the 2 belts and check the belt idlers and make sure the CVT pulley assy is working properly.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is the variator layout for those that are trying to troubleshoot.
JD RX75 Variator Setup.JPG

ba_50

Threads
I found a manual to adjust the speed lever.
The variatir pulley might be stuck. It's isn't moving in and out.

ba_50

Threads
Is #13 or #31 a variable pulley?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now I definitely know you don't have the foggest of what you are doing. I just going out back and jump off the cliff.