John Deere LX277

JD-LX277 owner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mower will not start. New battery, new fuel filter, good gas, new plugs. Mower was idle for a few years. Fuel lines are clear. Carb may be a bit fouled but will start when spraying starter fluid and then stall when not spraying. Checked voltage to fuel solenoid and there is no power to the solenoid. Both battery and oil lights illuminate while trying to start so I think the circuit board is good. Green wires from fuel solenoid enter the wiring and wrap around to a disconnect on the other side of the motor. No green wires exiting the disconnect to continue on to the starter / circuit board. I suppose I could jump the power to the solenoid but would rather fix correctly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do yourself a big favour and get the JD Technical manual for your mower
If nothing else it will bring an extra $ 200 when you sell it even if it is not working .
JD have a habit of changing the wire colour every time it passes through a plug
I do not have an LX 277 manual, but on the LX 188 it is yellow + black then goes to yellow + White then yellow then red
And the power supply actually comes via a relay .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1658547088858.png

Attachments

• JD lx277.png
    JD lx277.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 7

JD-LX277 owner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do yourself a big favour and get the JD Technical manual for your mower
If nothing else it will bring an extra $ 200 when you sell it even if it is not working .
JD have a habit of changing the wire colour every time it passes through a plug
I do not have an LX 277 manual, but on the LX 188 it is yellow + black then goes to yellow + White then yellow then red
And the power supply actually comes via a relay .
Thanks, 600 plus pages for $40 plus ink cartridges. Might wait for a more specific reply but appreciate the advice, thanks.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Every page will have a ton of helpful info on it.

Bert is right. We sold some JD micro tractor deal at work. Used it to move a helicopter and sled is all. We made the deal with the buyer. I told him 200 more, for all these filters and the TM. He forked it over like nothing.

Bet you have a $1200 cell phone. LOL

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, 600 plus pages for $40 plus ink cartridges. Might wait for a more specific reply but appreciate the advice, thanks.
Now lets see
An hour of shop labour ≈ $ 75 and hour or more of your time each way to the dealer + fuel
So the first time you use it you would be way ahead
And you don't have to print out all 600 pages, you only have to read the description of how the system works + the section that shows you exactly where each part that needs to be tested is + the section that tells you exactly where to shove your meter probes and what the readings mean then the section on how to replace the defective part.
Sounds like a bargain to me and that is not counting the time spent searching forums for help .
As it is Star has posted the circuit diagram so that is case closed, problem solved IMHO .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Some just haven't grasp that digital computer storage save a lot time and money but of course many are trying to use the thier smart phones as a replacement for a normal computer monitor.

The diagram is combo version of 4 pages from the service manual hence the line breaks.With on a regular computer you can zoom in on the images in the service manual for clear details.

wfrpalm

Threads
If it runs on starting fluid I would think it is a fuel issue, is it getting gas to the carb. I have to pull gas through the line with a syringe at the first start of the season. I also have a LX277.

D

Deleted member 97405

You can get the Tech manual on a CD, which is cheaper than buying the book. Trust me, if you're keeping the mower, it pays for itself after the first repair! That being said, I'm suspecting the circuit board. If the carb is clean, just run a jumper wire to the solenoid and see if it runs that way. Then, troubleshoot from there. The reason I'm suggesting this is because the machine sat and we just want to make sure the fuel system is ok before we dig deeper into the electrical. But get that CD. It is worth its weight in gold!

JD-LX277 owner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for that. Just trying to get the mower started to move a quarter mile down the road and in a new home. It’s not going on a trip to the shop. It starts here or the grave yard.