John Deere LX 188 engine shut down?

edlkll

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a LX 188 John Deere Mower with a twin Kawasaki engine. When I start it and run it for a few minutes I have noticed some smoke
and it looks like some oil around on the head where the muffler bolts to it. Then running it for about another minute the engine shuts down
and the low oil pressure light comes on. It has never burnt oil or smoked before. The oil level is full. Anyone had this problem or have any ideas
what could be going on here. Some ones answer will be really helpful edlkll

edlkll

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pulled the head and checked the gasket everything looks good and not blown. Going to clean the head and check for cracks
any other ideas to check for it shutting down on oil light? I guess I could check the oil pressure at the oil sending unit with a manual gauge.
How would you check if its a electrical problem with the oil light? Any ideas will be helpful. Thanks edlkll

JD318420

Threads
If its not the pressure switch or the pressure flow switch, then it has to be the electronic box also called or referred to as (smart box) (TDCM)(etc). Most likely a bad switch related to the oil system, or a shorted or cut wire from the same switch. To check the switch you need something to generate the pressure or flow to activate the switch. To check the motor you need either a pressure gauge or flow gauge, also how to set the signal to the box.

Do you have the TM for the LX 188 or the the engine service manual from the manufacturer?

edlkll

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put back together found a blown fuse on the ignition key board. Replaced that and started and cut grass for about fifteen minutes and everything seemed fine.
Shut it off to check radiator and oil level restarted and ran about 3 minutes and it shut down. This time the low oil light did not come on. It just shut down
waited a couple of minutes restarted and it ran about 1 minute and shut down again. Is there any way to check the igniter box on the side of the engine to see if
that is the problem? Is there some kind of test you can do on it to see if its shutting the engine down? Any one have any ideas what the problem could be I hate
to replace the igniter box its about 264.00 if I don't really need it or it could be something else. Some ones thoughts or answers will be helpful edlkll