John Deere LT-180 Blades Don't Totally Disengage Hit Sporadically

Mailman John

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere LT-180 Blades Don't Totally Disengage Hit Sporadically
With over 900 hours this machine is acting up a little. Took the deck off to do the maintenance, sharpen the blades, put on a new belt and getting it back together the belt engages good but when I undo the mower blade engagement rod, the blades don't totally stop and spins real rough so I have to just turn it off instead of damaging the new belt. so the manual says either belts routed incorrectly or Mower blade engagement rod needs adjustment, or Spindle brake needs adjustment or replacement and looking at the photos the spring that is supposed to be on the PTO rod holding it up off the deck is missing. I've never adjusted this before but something needs to change so I can drive around with the blades off. Any suggestions or ideas?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Adjust PTO clutch as described above.
Remove key from ignition & negative battery cable for Safety then remove deck. Check blades for being in time after leaning deck in upright position. If you have 3 blades center blade should be at 12 & 6 o'clock & both outer blades should be at 9 & 3 o'clock position. If you have 2 blades one blade will be at 12 & 6 o'clock & one at 9 & 3 o'clock.

Mailman John

Forum Newbie
Threads
Adjust PTO clutch as described above.
Remove key from ignition & negative battery cable for Safety then remove deck. Check blades for being in time after leaning deck in upright position. If you have 3 blades center blade should be at 12 & 6 o'clock & both outer blades should be at 9 & 3 o'clock position. If you have 2 blades one blade will be at 12 & 6 o'clock & one at 9 & 3 o'clock.

Thanks Mark but this model does not have a PTO clutch just a PTO rod that when engaged, tightens the belt against the pulleys. In thinking about my blades wanting to turn when I put the lever back down, those pulley brakes are probably wore out. I need to look at it closer tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I can not stress enough the benefit of buying the JD technical manual for your mower.
People wince at the cost but it is not much more than the belt which you now may have destroyed.
I do not have one for your model but below is the proceedure for an LT 133 to LT 166
On decks with manual PTO engagement having the right side spindle brake working is vitally important as that is what causes the belt to slack to accumulate around the engine pulley
LT 133_155_166_.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Deck size is important to know here as there is a 38, 42 Timed, 42C, 42M, or 48 inch decks that could be attached. The 42 Timed does not have blade brakes but the other all appear to have them. On all of the decks other than the timed deck as brakes are adjustable.

Blade timing is only important on the 42 Timed as the blade are longer than normal and will contact other if not timed correctly. Also the timed deck is just a pain to work on especially for the timing belt replacement.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

Mailman John

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark but this model does not have a PTO clutch just a PTO rod that when engaged, tightens the belt against the pulleys. In thinking about my blades wanting to turn when I put the lever back down, those pulley brakes are probably wore out. I need to look at it closer tomorrow.
Well I ordered new pulley brakes, got them installed and the blades do not try to turn now but the belt is still tight enough around the main pulley off the engine that it starts smoking the belt now that the brakes are doing their job so is there another adjustment somewhere or is the belt too long or too short, I am not sure? I can mow with the mower but the blades need to stay engaged the entire time the engine is running.

Mailman John

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can not stress enough the benefit of buying the JD technical manual for your mower.
People wince at the cost but it is not much more than the belt which you now may have destroyed.
I do not have one for your model but below is the proceedure for an LT 133 to LT 166
On decks with manual PTO engagement having the right side spindle brake working is vitally important as that is what causes the belt to slack to accumulate around the engine pulley
View attachment 55969
Well I ordered new pulley brakes for the 48C, got them installed and the blades do not try to turn now but the belt is still tight enough around the main pulley off the engine that it starts smoking the belt now that the brakes are doing their job so is there another adjustment somewhere or is the belt too long or too short, I am not sure? I can mow with the mower but the blades need to stay engaged the entire time the engine is running.

Mailman John

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is Manual bertsmobile1 was talking about, usual price well over $100.
I ordered the PDF manual from AnyServiceManual.com for 14.99 but it does not cover the mowing deck and the tractors are older models not the LT 180 I have so a waste of money on that purchase.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Over time the deck mounts wear and in particular the front drag link mounts get bent back.
Thus the deck sits too far back so the belt can never get loose enough to slip.
Also measure the belt as some times they are wrongly labled