john deere l118 no power

bael9090

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a john deere l118 that's not getting anything from the key no lights no hours meter nothing I've replaced the ignition switch, solenoid, and battery checked main fuse and relays all good even tried bypassing the safety modules with jumper wires testing each one the seat, brake pedal, and blade lever, it will start and run when jumping the solenoid but still displays nothing on the lcd and headlights still don't work it's like it has no electrical power at all I'm at a loss as I've tried everything I've read for trouble shooting 12.3v on battery continuity on safety switches. any advice or ideas would greatly help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the plug off the back of the ignition switch and check the red wire for battery voltage.
Some JD's use a fuseable link as well as a fuse
As I have no intention of rewrithing the 137 page JD electrical system manual we will do baby steps
If you have 12 V on the red wire, make a patch cord by crimping a pair of INSULATED blade terminals to a few inches of wire and do the same with about 3 foot of wire .
If you have battery voltage on the red wire then jump the plug Red to Yellow .
This should power up the mower
If it does then the switch is bad
WARNING :- the black wire is the magneto kill wire if you so much as brush a power wire across it you will kill the magnetos .

JD publish th rolls royce of service manuals written so the most inbred uneducated backwood farm child can understand it and repair their pappys mower .
Rolls Royces are not cheap beacuse they are the absolute best vehicle that can be made and for the same reason the JD manuals are not cheap.
However most are between 1 to 3 hours of billed labour from a mower shop so will pay for themselves with their first use .
How many hours of your time have you already wasted stumbling around in the dark ?

boatmoter

Threads
I have a john deere l118 that's not getting anything from the key no lights no hours meter nothing I've replaced the ignition switch, solenoid, and battery checked main fuse and relays all good even tried bypassing the safety modules with jumper wires testing each one the seat, brake pedal, and blade lever, it will start and run when jumping the solenoid but still displays nothing on the lcd and headlights still don't work it's like it has no electrical power at all I'm at a loss as I've tried everything I've read for trouble shooting 12.3v on battery continuity on safety switches. any advice or ideas would greatly help
have you checked the ignition switch with a meter or test light for power?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do yourself a big favour and buy the JD technical manual for your mower.
I know this is against all US based religions but after you have finished mowing your yard with your repaired mower , go mow the Churches lawn for absolution from your sins