John Deere L110 No Spark.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Have you thought of that it may just had a spark plug to fail?
1656242738762.png

Lou the mower killer

Forum Newbie
Threads
From the top
1) you can not test magneto coils with a standard Ohm meter because what you will be reading is the Hall effect chip which times he spark
Cheap multimeters can actually pass enough voltage down the wire to fry the chip
2) were they genuine Kohler coils, quality parts from an on line retailer or shop front or a lucky dip coil off Evilpay or Ammozone ?
How are you testing the spark ?

The magneto is self energizing so if there is no kill wire on it and it is not touching the magnets ( or any other part of the flywheel then it must make a spark if it is good .
Kohler engines university calls it a kill wire. It is the only wire actually on the engine other than the starter engagement wire. The service tech said it runs back through the safety switches then to the ignition switch. It is the only way to stop the coil from producing spark from now to infinity or until the engine runs out of fuel and stops turning. I agree with you about the coil energizing , i am quite familiar about how they create spark. My new coil was purchased at our local John Deere store... i don't buy any parts off of Feebay or Ammozone , you usually would get a cheap chinese knockoff. I don't even have an account with either one.
I did find out that Kohler uses their own spark tester and not an automotive one like Briggs uses , so that may be an issue and part of the problem. I am going to try another coil this week and see what happens. Even OEM parts are defective once in a while. Thanks for your time and have a great weekend...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
CV460S-26510

You don't needto buy Kohler parts from JD; unless, you like just paying extra for the same Kohler parts.

Kohler PN 12 584 04-S Ignition coil. Lsits for around $23.

Lou the mower killer

Forum Newbie
Threads
CV460S-26510

You don't needto buy Kohler parts from JD; unless, you like just paying extra for the same Kohler parts.

Kohler PN 12 584 04-S Ignition coil. Lsits for around $23.
Thanks. The JD dealer charges $25.99 plus tax and i can just walk in and carry it out. Next closest " mower" parts dealer to me is 1-2 hours away . I am in the mountains and as it is my JD store is 35 minutes away in the nearest town. Thanks again for your time. Have a great day.

Lou the mower killer

Forum Newbie
Threads
SOLVED : Thanks everybody for your time. Had an old timer that lives nearby over for a visit. He listened to my project and said " it stopped raining , lets go try something ". He grabbed my die grinder and a sanding disc and went out to the mower. He buffed the mounting surfaces of the engine as well as the old coil. Put the old coil back on and poof , started right up. Put my new coil on and it ran as well. So i guess we were too busy overthinking it. See i can learn something new at 60 years old. Thanks again for all your time and have a great week.