John Deere L100 Lawn Tractor - Intake push rod not moving

farmchick

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere L100 Lawn Tractor - Intake push rod not moving
Hi,

On the exhaust valve, I have repaired the valve seat, lapped the valve, replaced the valve seal and head gasket. Set the valve clearances. It started right up but It started but immediately blew out the valve seal because I did not understand how to seat it firmly. Lots of oily smoke. So I replaced the seal and the head gasket and set the valve clearances again. On impulse, I tested the compression and on cranking the engine, the resulting compression was 160. Valves too tight. So I adjusted the valve clearances again. It would not start.

The gas line was full of air, so I pulled the fuel line off the carbuerator and it pumped out the air and gave a normal gas flow.

It still wouldn't start. Good spark. No compression.

I pulled the valve cover gasket and on cranking the engine, saw that the intake valve, rocker arm and push rod are not moving.

Do you know what might be wrong? The mower was working fine until the exhaust valve seat failed.

farmchick

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way, the push rods are intact, straight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The valves , valve guides & springs are identical
So they should be in identical positions in the head with the piston TDC on the firing stroke
If not then the intake valve guide has shifted in the head
This happens because the head has been allowed to get too hot and the alloy expands so much that it looses grip on the guide

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is very possible you don't have the push rod on the tappet. It won't be the first this has happen either.

farmchick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the responses. I am pretty new to small engine repair.

Bertsmobile1 - Thanks for the tip on checking on the intake valve guide.

TDC firing stroke, meaning both valves closed and piston at TDC, correct?

Regarding the exhaust valve I just repaired, the valve guide broke free. Could you tell me what would get the head that hot? It appeared to be running just fine when the valve guide broke free. I shut it off and it just wouldn't start again.

Star Tech - Thanks!. How would I make sure I've got the pushrod properly located on the tappet?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Pretty sure you have a Briggs 310000 series; although, a few had the 330000 series. Take flashlight (torch) and shine light into push rod gallery while installing the push rod. You will see the tapper recess that the rod goes into. Btw the aluminum rod goes on the intake side which is the one closest to the pto end of the engine.

farmchick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Star Tech! That was it! You taught me something important! Now it's running great except for the smoking! Think it's time to adjust the carburetor.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
how did you replace the valve seat? Normally that requires a machine shop do it because it is an interference fit item.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
He probably reuse the current as they do come loose at times without breaking. Here is how a replacement is install locally without a machine shop. IF new seat then it will cutting seating area for the valve to specs.
1655665537054.png
It is the same thing I did on my personal 330000 engine when the exhaust seat came loose.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
peening only works for a little while once the aluminum has softened from getting hot.