Repairs John Deere JS46 rear wheels

capebeachbuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cannot get the rear drive wheels off of a John Deere JS46 push mower. The axle nut and washer come off easily. I have sprayed penetrating oil on it and short of beating these off with a hammer they wont budge. Any secret here? I need to replace the cheap plastic gear attached to the wheel and replace the transmission as well.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Install washer and nut back on just a couple threads, use a hammer and punch or screwdriver and strike from inside wheel next to axle shaft. Place wood, bricks, etc. under deck to take weight off wheels. Wear safety glasses and gloves.

capebeachbuddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark, it took me a while to get back to this. I did this and one wheel popped off after a couple of minutes of effort (less the bearing). The other wheel eventually popped off but the bearing remained frozen to the axle shaft. I eventually ordered a new transmission, rear wheels, bearings, drive gears, pinion gears, and all of the retaining and e clips, rear axle (threads were compromised), and a new belt (basically the entire rear drive system). This is a mower my 82 year old mother in law uses and she loves to wash the mower down after use. I told her to stop doing that because all of the components rusted out or seized up.

Nwatson99

Threads
Purchase her the lightest and most powerful electric leaf blower you can find and tell her to just blow it off after she is done using it.
I wash mine once per month, however blow it off with the leaf blower after each use and that keeps it pretty clean.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Mark, it took me a while to get back to this. I did this and one wheel popped off after a couple of minutes of effort (less the bearing). The other wheel eventually popped off but the bearing remained frozen to the axle shaft. I eventually ordered a new transmission, rear wheels, bearings, drive gears, pinion gears, and all of the retaining and e clips, rear axle (threads were compromised), and a new belt (basically the entire rear drive system). This is a mower my 82 year old mother in law uses and she loves to wash the mower down after use. I told her to stop doing that because all of the components rusted out or seized up.
Suggestion: go to auto parts store and purchase antiseize compound and apply to axle shaft before installing bearings & wheels.