John Deere E110

Dullwittedboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
FOLLOW UP $$$$$$$
So, I ended up getting a new OEM carb which did no good. After much grief and suffering I ripped the engine out and autopsied it. As I originally suspected the awesome design of the cam compression release flew apart and broke the governor to boot.
I should have known after I discovered that this camshaft issue is fairly common. I have a new cam and governor coming this week. Thank you to all who cared enough to offer help with this boat anchor.

Dullwittedboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
what are the signs of valve seat coming out and signs of valve guide slipping loose? Just put in the new cam and governor and same no start issues

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valves & guides are identical so sit at exactly the same height when fully in or fully out .

Dullwittedboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Valves & guides are identical so sit at exactly the same height when fully in or fully out .
The intake valve guide is out towards the rocker about 1/2 inch and the exhaust guide is nearly flush, maybe up 1/8 inch or so. Guess I will see if it runs like that. Motor only has 100 hours on it and already blew the cam comp release and shattered the governor to boot.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your intake guide has migrated up toward the rocker arm. As Bert said the guides should be the same height. I would not run the engine like that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the reason your mower won't start & when it does it is hardly worth the effort.
All that is going to happen is you will damage the cam & bend the pushrod.
If it is not too bad you can reposition the guide & stake it to stop it moving.
Guides only come loose for one reason, overheating .