John Deere E110 brakes are dealing me fits!

NancyEll

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have been working for 2 weeks trying to get brakes adjusted on 2020 John Deere E110 with less than 200 hours on it. I lost the roll pin out of the back linkage and put a cotter key in instead, So adjusted nut in and nothing, then loosed adjustment nut, nothing. Discovered I had the spring on wrong so looked at another junk mower D110 and figured that out, still no brakes or parking brake. Have looked all over the internet for a how to post but so far no luck. My yard is a down hill slope and I need brakes, has anyone experienced this problem???? Thanks so much for any advise you could share with a 68 yr old woman!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How are you testing the brakes ?
The brakes do not work on the wheels, they work on the gearbox such as to cause the wheels to turn in opposite directions
This is why the brakes as so harsh as they are either on or off
If the back is jacked up with the wheels off the ground then it appears that the brakes are not working because there is nothing stopping then turning freely

NancyEll

Forum Newbie
Threads
How are you testing the brakes ?
The brakes do not work on the wheels, they work on the gearbox such as to cause the wheels to turn in opposite directions
This is why the brakes as so harsh as they are either on or off
If the back is jacked up with the wheels off the ground then it appears that the brakes are not working because there is nothing stopping then turning freely
The only way I know to test them is set it on an incline and try them and the parking brake, neither are working cause it will roll down the hill. It is an automatic. They worked fine acouple weeks ago then both quit????? I also might try adjusting the nut on the rod again, there is no turnbuckle, just a spring and nut

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Mark, You need to pay more attention to the model numbers posted. The manual link you is for a different older model.

John Deere E110 Service Manual

As for the brakes you basically just sure you see the spring compress when the brake pedal is depressed.

Second according the IPL there is no roll pin on the brake linkage that connects to the transaxle. They used a Rue Ring clip.
1659242135141.png

Depending on how much you have been using the brake it might worn out inside the transaxle. I would recommend carrying the mower to someone with experience with hydrostatic transaxles.

Last edited:

NancyEll

Forum Newbie
Threads
BLESS YOU!!!!!! that is what I have been looking for, next step was to buy a repair manual!
Mark, You need to pay more attention to the model numbers posted. The manual link you is for a different older model.

John Deere E110 Service Manual

As for the brakes you basically just sure you see the spring compress when the brake pedal is depressed.

Second according the IPL there is no roll pin on the brake linkage that connects to the transaxle. They used a Rue Ring clip.
View attachment 61784

Depending on how much you have been using the brake it might worn out inside the transaxle. I would recommend carrying the mower to someone with experience with hydrostatic transaxles.
Ok the spring pin is what I found in the driveway. I crawled under the old D110 and it had a roll pin connecting it to the transaxle . Right now I am using a cotter pin. And you are right, if this does not fix it it's time for an expert. I worked at a natural gas pipeline for 20 yrs but those engines had 18 inch pistons and were easier to work on than this thing. Thanks so much!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
NancyEll, I apologize for giving you wrong information concerning Technical Manual for your JD E110. The Manual above will pay for itself rather quickly with you servicing & making repairs as necessary. You may choose to download Manual at a lower price. Please post after making repairs on brakes & share information. Thanks NancyEll, Mark