John Deere D140 engine shuts off when pto button is engaged

semimechanicman

Threads
  • / John Deere D140 engine shuts off when pto button is engaged
I thought it may have been something with the deck so i took it off but even with the deck off, the engine still shuts off when pto button is on. So it is an electric problem but i don’t know how to fix it right now

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The absolute best thing you can do is to buy the JD technical manual .
It is written inplain language, exlains exactly how to do the test, where to do the tests and what the results mean .
It costs 1 to 2 hours of shop labour so pays for itself the firt time you use it
You have a problem with the seat switch or the PTO switch or the reverse switch or the wiring between any one pair f them

semimechanicman

Threads
The absolute best thing you can do is to buy the JD technical manual .
It is written inplain language, exlains exactly how to do the test, where to do the tests and what the results mean .
It costs 1 to 2 hours of shop labour so pays for itself the firt time you use it
You have a problem with the seat switch or the PTO switch or the reverse switch or the wiring between any one pair f them
it was the seat switch as i looked below the seat and it was gone. so i just saw a video on how to bypass it thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While I am not in favour of the Nanny State and firmy believe we would be better off if idiots chopped their hands off cleaning the chute on a running mower as it would reinforce the fact that a mower is a dangerous tool & not a toy to amuse the grand kids.
However the seat switch is the one safety item I do endorse because it protects others from potential injury from a run away mower
and yes it does happen

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Especially if some idiot installs the wrong safety switch otherwise too. I had one customer that a DIYer installed the wrong PTO safety switch. He was mowing his lawn when he got knock off his mower and mower proceed to continue cutting grass; until, it slammed into the side of his wife's new car. Then the WAR started.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Especially if some idiot installs the wrong safety switch otherwise too. I had one customer that a DIYer installed the wrong PTO safety switch. He was mowing his lawn when he got knock off his mower and mower proceed to continue cutting grass; until, it slammed into the side of his wife's new car. Then the WAR started.

Are all safety switches the same color? I know theirs some gray ones and some black ones. Have you ever seen a mower with both grey and black?