John Deere D100 quit running

cdeno0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I've had some time off due to good ol' Covid and worked on my Dads mower. It had sat for probably 2 yrs. I did a lot of reading and suspected the cam was shot, howerever I initially got it running because the valves were so out of adjustment it wouldn't start. I got it running and used it for a few weeks with it working fine. The other day I was mowing and it cut out and stumbled like it was out of gas. It shut off in the middle of the field. Today I pushed it over towards the garage. I pulled the plug and confirmed it is getting spark. (it also blew fluid out of the cylinder from where I sprayed something in it to see if it would fire earlier.) Next I suspected a clogged filter, I pulled the hose off the carb and changed the engine and it was pumping fuel out the hose. I pulled the carb and cleaned it the best I could, it didn't appear to be really dirty. I put it back together and still won't fire. I haven't pulled the valve cover back off to look at the valve train yet because it started raining.

It seems to be getting fuel and spark, but no fire whatsoever. Idk. any thoughts?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check your valve clearance again, not uncommon for them to change if you didn’t tighten properly

cdeno0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll try to do that this weekend. They were so loose, especially the exhaust. It was not allowing decompression for starting, and obviously must have run like shit before it quit running before. This isn't quite my forte, been learning online as I go. I was worried initially that the rockers and pushrod guides were probably ruined for running that long with loose rocker arms. They may be. I had to pull the valve cover one already to tighten them back up a bit. I have a head off his other lawnmower I could swap if need be.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you adjusting these to a specification?

cdeno0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used a gauge, I think they guy told me .004. I'd have to double check.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Give us the engine numbers, model and serial, then we can get you specs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ANd remember the center torx / hex grub screw is the locking screw and the large nut is the actual adjuster which is backwards to all other engines.

cdeno0001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Broken pushrod. I have a head from his other mower which had a broken rod (we replaced the motor). I'm gonna order a head gasket and see if we can get some more miles outta this heap. I'll have to track down an exhaust bolt as well for one of mine has remnants of the cylinder attached to it. I thought it was cross threaded, i guess it was more of a corrosion of two different metals type of story. I wish I had a head gasket now I'm ready to put it back together lol. Thanks to those whom responded. I guess the main lesson is that routine maintenance is important; unfortunately my dad doesn't do that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got those numbers, so we can get you the specs.