Export thread

John Deere (36 inch Rototiller) Pulley

W

WilliamKrohmer

I have a John Deere pulley that i'm having a hard time finding, it's on a J.D. rototiller #F033J420911M, the pulley locked up, and shredded 2 drive belts on the rototiller. I have pictures of the pulley. Does anyone know where i could get on?
[ATTACHREUSE]

000_0401.JPG000_0397.JPG

Attachments

M

mechanic mark

Is tiller tow behind tractor mechanical or hydraulic type tiller? Is F033J420911M from small data plate riveted to tiller? Can you provide us with tiller width & any other numbers or information? Thanks for your patience. Size of pulley?

W

WilliamKrohmer

Is tiller tow behind tractor mechanical or hydraulic type tiller? Is F033J420911M from small data plate riveted to tiller? Can you provide us with tiller width & any other numbers or information? Thanks for your patience. Size of pulley?
It's a 36 inch tiller that attaches to my John Deere 317 tractor, has 2 belts that engage the tiller, by a lever. What i measured was 3-1/2 inch pulley.... Wide, enough to accomodate 2 belts on the same pulley.

B

bertsmobile1

All of the quality aftermarket parts suppliers have a table of idler pulleys by size and most break them down into heavy duty , light duty & V
So measure the major diameter ( flange ) & minor diameter ( where the belt runs ) then the width and go down the lists to find one that is as close as possible.
As this is the clutching pulley a perfect match is not necessary.
Most pulleys use standard bearings with a custom bush where the bolt mounts so you can push the old one out & reuse it.

Now if you want genuine JD their parts manuals on line but you will need the model number of the tiller to find the IPL .

B

bertsmobile1

OK, two threads here so it is getting confusing
William actually put the sizes on the on the other thread, Scrubby can you toss it before we go mad
From the information he gave looks like a Stens 280-529 should fit
Just in case we can get the other one deleted and to keep it all together the reply sent previously follows
Click on this link for a Stens 280-529 .
Click on the right thumbnail on the left of the page under the photo when the page opens to see how it measures up to your pulley
Ignore the BS showing a double row ball bearing, no one has done that for decades
Have a close look at your pulley because way back when it was made, quality was important so a lot of pulleys back then used custom made inner races.
Now days it is all std deep groove ball bearings with a custom bush to fit the bolt and regulate the amount of stand off .( cheapness )

M

mechanic mark

Well done bertsmobile1!

B

bertsmobile1

When I took over part of the stock was a pulley assortment pegboard from Stens, Oregon, Prime Line, Rotary & Jack Max + a 25 Litre bin full of other pulleys.
The previous owner did not have either a press nor lathe so probably had around 200 different pulleys.
I have whittled that down to around 60 and usually press the new bush out with the old bush after turning a thin walled spacer so I can press against the inner race
After belts, getting my head around pulleys was the next hardest thing to do .
Down here we get ripped for OES Branded parts like pulleys
A deck idler for a Dixie Chopper was listed for $ 172 ( Aus ) & I found a standard one that fitted for $ 30 .
makes for happy customers.

W

WilliamKrohmer

When I took over part of the stock was a pulley assortment pegboard from Stens, Oregon, Prime Line, Rotary & Jack Max + a 25 Litre bin full of other pulleys.
The previous owner did not have either a press nor lathe so probably had around 200 different pulleys.
I have whittled that down to around 60 and usually press the new bush out with the old bush after turning a thin walled spacer so I can press against the inner race
After belts, getting my head around pulleys was the next hardest thing to do .
Down here we get ripped for OES Branded parts like pulleys
A deck idler for a Dixie Chopper was listed for $ 172 ( Aus ) & I found a standard one that fitted for $ 30 .
makes for happy customers.
Wow! I still can not find a pulley OEM :(

B

bertsmobile1

Without the actual JD model number for the tiller you have very little chance of finding the JD pulley.
The days of parts counter staff saying"Oh yeah, I know them , that would be an xyz, I go check the box " are long gone
Pimple faced nimble thumbs will just look at you like your are a store dummy and say
"How do you expect me to look it up with no model number "
And remember JD did not make the pulley they bought it from a pulley factory
How close was that Stens pulley

W

WilliamKrohmer

Like you said, without seeing it, the only thing that was different was the side lips were a bit shorter and was thinking that, when not engaged, the belts may slip off. It may come down to, trying it on, and hoping for the best. Thank you bertsmobile1.

W

WilliamKrohmer

I don't know for sure, but there is a very tiny number on the pulley, but it's on the bearing, so i don't know if that would help or not? I'm thinking that it might be just the bearing number.......

StarTech

StarTech

William that is just the bearing part number.

Well, Bert if it was a poisonous snake the model number would bitten you by now as the OP did post the model number. It is in plain sight.

William it is JD PN AM118473.

B

bertsmobile1

We must be on different planets because the part No you listed brings this up from the JD spares page which does not appear to be a pulley.
 AM118473.jpg

And the results for F033J420911M were not all that enlightening either.  F033J420911M.jpg

So obviously you know something about it that I don't but I am always willing to learn.
As for snakes there is a reason why I wear loose heavy cotton coveralls around the workshop.

StarTech

StarTech

First with even those pants a snake can crawl up them. I know I had one this summer that went up my work pants leg before I could move out the way. I was laying under a mower at the time and it came out the frame. I was lucky that it was a non poisonous one. Still got my heart pumping rather fast.

Bert you just got to know how to read the serial number posted. As the tiller is a model 33 Tractor-Mounted Tiller.

And yes I am on a different planet. It just in the sweet spot of Earth orbit where you cant see it. Here is a map of Torland.
1638024346135.png

Here is the JD model search results.

1638023681826.png

The reason you not finding the part as expected it is a supersede PN of the original PN AM31705 that was superseded to AM34985 and then superseded again to AM118473 which requires bushing PN N189096. It also can be replaced with JD PN AN152951 but overall OD is just 3.25" and with 2.75" flat diameter.

Oh well got to go to work as it is now above freezing here. I got another crappy Chinese clone engine to figure how to fix since the OEM doesn't provide repair parts. Doesn't help when the customer has taken it apart. Spend half a day putting it back together just to find out what is wrong with it.

W

witkop

Drill out the rivets, replace the bearing and rivet, bolt or weld back together.

B

bertsmobile1

Rivets will work but they have to be hot sets
High tensile bolts with high ensile washers under both the head & nut work if you punch the threads to prevent them undoing
Welding does not work and is very hard too balance the pulley afterwards
I have done it for pulleys that are unavailable but it is a bigger job than most would think
On that pulley it would be at least 2 hours work .

B

bertsmobile1

First with even those pants a snake can crawl up them. I know I had one this summer that went up my work pants leg before I could move out the way. I was laying under a mower at the time and it came out the frame. I was lucky that it was a non poisonous one. Still got my heart pumping rather fast.
There is a good reason why I lift mowers and work on them seated at a comfortable height.

I thought I had tries every which way with that number but lesson has been learned although I doubt I will need it but it is good to know.
I don't actually work on any real tractors other than the landlords Inters & Olivers so JD model number formats are not top in my mind.

W

WilliamKrohmer

William that is just the bearing part number.

Well, Bert if it was a poisonous snake the model number would bitten you by now as the OP did post the model number. It is in plain sight.

William it is JD PN AM118473.
Star Tech, I just order that pulley, it looks exactly like the one that i have, we'll see when it gets here...... Thank You.